06 | jealous

"to us," riley says and raises her glass to make a toast.

"to us," james and the rest of A-Troupe answer and raise their glasses too.

the whole a-troupe went separate ways after internationals unless riley who owns the studio now and noah, amanda & michelle who still dance there. everybody else is all around the world, either working on their dance career or focusing on other things like acting or music. but for a few days all the a-troupe members gathered around to spend a little time together since it's been a year since internationals and most of them haven't seen each other until now. so today they're celebrating a little bit in a bar.

riley is sitting on her boyfriends lap and he randomly kisses her behind her ear to make her giggle or hugs her tightly from behind. their relationship has been going perfectly for almost 5 years now and it's just amazing how perfect they fit even though they're complete opposites.

right now riley is having a conversation with thalia about poland and her new boyfriend and james just listens to the wonderful voice of his beautiful girlfriend and thinks about how happy he is to have her.

"yo james!," west shouts and james rolls his eyes. even though most people of the next step haven't seen each other for a year james was still stuck with these two idiots he calls his best friends and even lives with west and eldon. deep inside he really loves them but he'd never admit it.

"don't you see that i'm busy?," he asks annoyed but west doesn't seem to care a single bit.

"c'mon you had enough jiley time, c'mere." james rolls his eyes once again. he hates that the others constantly tease him with calling his time with riley jiley time.

"it's fine," riley, who heard the whole conversation, says softly and stands up so james can go to his friends. james gives her one last kiss on her forehead before going over and riley keeps talking to thalia.

a lot of time passes in which james keeps turning around to check for his girlfriend and always sees her with studio friends while laughing and talking which makes him smile satisfied. he loves seeing his girl happy and is really protective over her, most of all on nights like this where there are a ton of drunk men who would love to have a girl like riley for the night. especially because she was wearing clothes that in fact are a little teasing to him, he's not sure if it was on purpose, though.

however, right when james turns around one more time and scans the club with his eyes, he sees riley on a different spot and this time with a male he has never seen before. she's giggling and the guy wrapped his arm around her waist so that it's dangerously near her butt. a wave of jealousy hits him but before he can act on it riley looks around and searches him in the crowd. when she sees him already staring at her she grins and waves him over.

"hey babe," she says happily once he arrives and presses a kiss on his cheek which makes him soften.

"hey," he breaths out and smiles before pressing his lips against hers for a few seconds until the guy next to riley, who let go of her waist by now, clears his throat jokingly which makes riley pull away and giggle and james roll his eyes annoyed.

"james, that's my old friend from school, lukas," she announces and james just nods. he knows riley wouldn't start anything with him anyway, but at the same time lukas is really close to riles and who knows what happened back then in high school so he is a little bit jealous.

"let me guess, this is your boyfriend?," lukas says and him and riley start laughing.

"correct."

"pleasure to meet you," the guy says to the dark haired and he once again just nods and mumbles something he doesn't even understand himself.

riley doesn't notice the strange and rude behaviour of her boyfriend because she's way too caught up in her conversation with lukas. they haven't seen each other in years now.

"i can't believe you just let me all alone after 11th grade just for your dance career. i had to finish school for one more year! it was awful," lukas rambles to riley and she laughs.

"it can't have been that bad, it's not like i was your only friend," she replies with a shrug. "you're such a drama queen."

"it's drama king, babe. and no but you were the only decent friend! i hate you for just disappearing." the nick name makes james tighten his hand around riley a little but nobody notices. he knows he's overreacting a little but he never heard anything from that guy and riley tells him everything. maybe she didn't tell him because they had a past? he can't help but feel jealous, no matter how hard he tries not to.

"all of this talking makes me thirsty; want anything ri?," lukas asks her and she shakes her head.

"i'm good," she replies.

"oh c'mon ri, just take one. you weren't like that in high school, you were the first one to get a drink at every party and get so drunk that you sometimes woke up in my bed without any clothes on and-"

"dude, she said no," james says annoyed for the first time again since he didn't take part in the conversation the other two had before.

riley turns around surpised and lukas raises an eyebrow at him. "okay," he says slowly. "i'll be right back."

james sighs. he imagined the night differently. "if you wanna go back to the others you of course can, i don't wanna bore you," the blonde brunette girl says softly and sends her boyfriend a smile.

she immediately makes him smile back. "you could never bore me," he mumbles before crashing his lips onto hers and she smiles into the kiss. they make out for a while and right when it's about to get more intese a voice interrupts them.

"i don't remember your kisses being so wild when we had our first kiss," he says casually and takes a sip from his drink while riles slaps his chest jokingly.

"at a game of truth or dare, of course," he adds with a look to james who once again rolls his eyes. riley is way too innocent to notice how jealous her boyfriend is but lukas isn't.

james's starting to get really annoyed by that guy and the only reason why he's still standing here and not with his friends is because he doesn't trust him with riley.

so when riley announces she's gonna use the restroom with some of the other girls nothing holds him back anymore, especially since girls always take forever in the restroom in his opinion.

"wait bro," lukas says quickly when he sees james is about to turn around. james groans and faces him again.

"what do you want?"

"you had so much luck with riley," he states and just wants to continue when he gets interrupted.

"i know that, can i leave now?," james says impatient and just wants to turn around again when lukas continues.

"and i'm gay. so there's no need to get jealous," he chuckles and james frozes in his movement.

"i seem like such an idiot, don't i?," he asks and slowly starts grinning.

"yes you do," lukas confirms blunt. "but you're rileys idiot so i'm fine with it. just take good care of her, but from what i've seen you already do that." the guy laughs and james joins him.

"i'm sorry," he says rueful and smirks a little ashamed. "and thanks for not mentioning my jealousy in front of riley, she would've been so mad that i jumped into conclusions like that."

"it's cool, man. i can't blame you though, if you would've seen what some high school guys did to ri even when she was dating someone you would probably flip, they would all be so jealous if they saw how hot she is now. one time a guy grabbed her ass an-"

"okay whoa, if we wanna make this work then you're gonna have to talk a little less about rileys past with other guys," james interrupts him immediately and lukas laughs again.

"my bad."