22 | wedding

"coming!," i yell as a reply to my mom asking me to come downstairs. i quickly grab my phone and my bag and check myself in the mirror one last time before i run downstairs.

my hair is put up in a bun with a few strays hanging out and a tight dark blue dress is wrapped around my body. once i'm downstairs my feet slip into black high heels and i walk out of the house as quickly as i can in those shoes.

my family and i are invited to a wedding of my moms friend and even though i barley know her i had to come with them which wouldn't be that bad if i wasn't in the middle of moving out and in total stress.

i blow a stray out of my face as i finally sit in the car and put on my seat belt. since we're almost late my dad starts driving immediately and the car is covered in silence, the radio being the only noise in it.

i close my eyes a little, partly because i'm tired because i haven't really slept last night because i had to pack and partly because i'm enjoying the silence after a couple of weeks full of stress. when i feel the car stopping i open them again and sigh.

a couple of hours of socialising when i would much rather be at home right now, how fun.

i walk into the big church and greet a few people that are standing in front of it before walking in and taking a seat in one of the rows in the back. my parents told me they'd join me later since they unlike me actually have people to talk to.

i look around the huge room and notice the people that are here. i barley know anyone so when the guy that's sitting next to me that i haven't even noticed before taps my shoulder i give him a surprised look.

"uh, hi," i say awkwardly and chuckle. "can i help you?"

the guy is really handsome and seems to be in my age range so i immediately get a little nervous. he has dark hair that's kind of curly and messy but not to the point where it looks shabby, he's wearing a common black suit and his face is is blessed with a really charming smile.

"i just wanted to introduce myself," he says in a deep but at the same time soft voice. "since we're gonna have to sit next to each other for the next few hours or so," he adds with a wink.

"a little company never hurt anyone," i agree with a smile.

"i'm james."

"riley."

"so, riley, how are you in relation to the bride or the groom?," he asks curiously.

i wave my hand dismissively. "i met the bride like twice. she's friends with my mother, though." he nods as i continue. "what about you?"

just when he wants to answer music starts playing and the whole room becomes quite. "guess the show is starting," he whispers to me.

the next 30 minutes are probably the longest 30 minutes in my life. i mean, don't get me wrong i have nothing against the people here nor against weddings in general but there are so many things i have and want to do and being here isn't one of them. i don't really know anyone nor does anyone seem to be younger than 40 which is another reason this entire wedding is boring to me.

i sigh quitely and close my eyes a little until i hear someone whispering my name causing me to open them again.

i'm surprised to see it's james from before but appreciate the fact that the only person that doesn't make me want to fall asleep is talking to me.

"wanna leave?," he asked, still whispering.

i give him an irritated look. "now?"

"why not?"