29 | wingwoman

the music was booming and the room was completely crowded. there were people on the dance floor, dancing their heart and soul out, either with friends, a flirty stranger or alone. others sat on the couches that were seated in the back of the club, talking and laughing. and the rest was seated at the bar with drinks in their hands and smiles on their faces. one of those people was riley.

she sat at the bar with a shot glass in her hand while laughing at something her best friend michelle just said before chugging the content of the glass and ordering a new one. her and michelle came to the club to celebrate michelle's promotion at the company she works at and they were having a great time. the only thing that could make it even better would be a hot night with an even hotter stranger. at least for michelle.

"how about this one?," she asked and pointed at a guy on the dance floor but riley shook her head.

"too old," she yelled over the music and michelle sighed. she needed her best friends approval before going after a guy because riley was always the rational one of the two but right now she just wanted to throw all caution away and throw herself at the next guy she saw.

riley saw that and quickly scanned the whole club, looking for someone who would be both michelle's type and good enough so riley would allow her to go after him. "what about him?"

she nodded towards a guy who was seated at the bar as well but near the other end of it. he should be around the girls' ages and even riley had to admit that he was incredibly good looking. he was talking to someone who was probably a friend he came with and his smile was beautiful.

michelle nodded excitedly. "he's perfect! can you go talk to him for me?"

it was the same every time. the two of them would go out, they would see a good looking guy, riley would go talk to him for michelle, michelle would go home with him and riley would simply go home and pass out on her couch. and riley was convinced it would be the same this time so she just chugged her shot for a little courage and then nodded and got up.

when james saw a petite girl walk over to him he started to smirk. he excused himself from his friend and decided to walk towards her as well so they met in the middle.

"hey, i'm riley," riley introduced herself.

"hey. james."

"listen, so my friend over there" she pointed at michelle, who was pretending to text someone on her phone so she would look busy. "really wants to get with you tonight."

james gave her a confused look and laughed slightly. "and why are you telling me this? shouldn't she be the one to talk to me then?"

the interaction really did confuse him but he was mostly wondering if it was riley's way of talking to him. maybe she would use her friend as an icebreaker but in reality it was her that wanted to hook up with him. at least he secretly hoped so.

"oh, it's this whole thing. she always chooses the worst guys, trust me," riley explained, just like she did every time she talked to someone for michelle. "so i have to talk to you before you can talk to her to make sure you're not a creep. you can never be careful enough these days."

james nodded slowly. "got it. and then she does the same for you, right?"

riley laughed. "hell no. one night stands are not my thing."

james mustered her curiously. the girl fascinated him and he didn't want to stop talking to her so he tried to ask more questions.

"okay but you only talk to the guys for about one minute. are you really able to figure out if someone is a creep or not this quickly?"