26 | three words

the mattress underneath me moving caused me to grunt. when i heard a chuckle i slowly opened my eyes, only for them to be met by beautiful brown ones.

"good morning, babe," he whispered against my lips before pressing a kiss on them. if i wasn't fully awake before i definitely was now.

my lips formed a smile and i also wished him a good morning before streching and taking a look at the clock on the nightstand. it was 7 am which meant it was time for me to get ready for the airport.

"have you seen my bra somewhere?," i asked after looking around the room. our clothes were spread all over the ground.

he tossed it to me while putting on his pants and i caught it elegantly and thanked him.

"didn't you bring any clothes for today?"

i shook my head before slightly laughing at the memory of last night. "this wasn't exactly planned."

james, me and a couple of other friends had gone to a club last night to celebrate my last day in our home town but after less than an hour it ended in a heavy make out session between james and i in the bathroom. we drove to his place and continued it there but it ended in more than that.

i really should have expected it, though. james and i were complicated. we started off as best friends but then this undeniable sexual tension between us developed and we weren't able to ignore it. after our first night together we couldn't stop anymore. we couldn't stop being friends either, though, so our relationship turned into friends with benefits. but soon enough i realised we were even more than that. he would take me out on dates, get jealous of other guys and just overall treat me like his girlfriend and vice versa. i just didn't know where he stood in all of this but i was going to find out today.

"you can wear one of my shirts, i'll check if one of my sisters has pants you can wear," he explained after getting fully dressed, interrupting my thoughts and i nodded thankfully. when he closed the door i sighed.

today was my last chance to tell him how i feel. james and i met at our dance studio years ago and it's a passion for both of us but while it is just that for him it's also a career path for me. today i was leaving to fly thousands of miles away from home to pursue that career. i really didn't want to leave him but i didn't even know if he had feelings for me.

when james arrived and i got dressed we both went downstairs and he cooked us breakfast while i tried my best not to think about me leaving and to go along with his attempt of pretending this is just a normal sunday. once we finished we got into his car and stopped at my place so i could get my suitcase and say goodbye to my family. none of them were able to join me to the airport but i would rather have that moment alone with james anyway. and soon enough it was time for it.

"you're gonna kick ass at that dance department," he mumbled into my hair as we hugged. i nodded, smiled and slowly felt tears fill my eyes. i quickly blinked them away.

"james, can i ask you something?"

he let go of me which was a little disappointing but i didn't have time to think about that as he replied with sure.

"what are we?," i asked. anxiety filled my body as soon as i spoke these three words. he didn't immediately reply and those very few seconds felt like a lifetime. regret filled me and my thoughts started spinning. i felt sick. but even though i felt awful in that moment of being unaware of what he thought of us, it doesn't even compare to what i felt when i found out.

"i-i thought we're just friends," he said carefully and i could have sworn in that moment i felt my heart crush in my chest.

"right," i said quickly. "i just thought-" i interrupted myself. "i thought there was more between us." my voice was quiet now. "i thought our nights together and everything else meant more."