23 | the list

a ring on the door made riley look up from what she was looking at and she waited a while until she heard the bell ring again, making her sigh. she got up, opened the door and smiled as she saw james' face.

"hey babe," he said in his deep, very familiar voice and pressed a kiss on riley's lip.

"hey," she replied after returning the kiss. "why did i give you a key to my apartment if you forget it every single time?"

james laughed and entered the apartment after riley made room for him. "i knew you were home so there was no point in taking it with me."

"mhm," riley made playfully, knowing damn well he just forgot it at home. she threw herself back on the couch she sat before he rang and took the sheet of paper she had in her hands before back into them.

"hey, i got us candy, doesn't that make up for it?"

riley looked up curiously and saw james entering the room with the same bag he had in his hands when she opened the door but now without his shoes and his jacket. james and riley planned to have a movie night that day so james came over with a bunch of food and they wanted to spend some time together.

"what do you have there?," he asked as he put the bag on the table in front of the couch.

"the list," she said mysteriously and giggled.

any other person wouldn't immediately get what she meant but of course james did. he took a seat next to her, wrapped his arm around her and then took a look at it.

"i can't believe you still have this." he chuckled. "how old is this thing?"

"around 3 years," riley answered in disbelieve. it was the list riley wrote for him when she caught him kissing another girl while they were dating. she was furious but even then she couldn't stop loving him which is something that never changed. so after many arguments and back and forth's he started to fight for her and told her to put anything she wants him to do on that list so they could get back together once he completed it. so she did and that's the list they were looking at.

"one, break-up with beth," james read out loud. the girl that entire drama started with.

riley grinned. "it's funny how you never actually did that task."

"hey, i tried my best!," he defended himself. "it's not my fault she wouldn't take no for an answer."

the light sound of riley's laugh filled the room which caused james to smile.

"at least it's how you became friends with hunter."

the drummer smiled in memory of that day. hunter really did save his relationship with riley and he's extremely grateful for that.

"read an entry from my diary in culture shock as if it is your own," riley read and started laughing. "that's probably my favourite thing on here."

james shook his head thinking about that moment but the grin on his face made it obvious that even he found it funny. he embarrassed himself in front of half of the studio but he didn't care because it was one step closer to getting riley back.

"the things i did for you," he mumbled and pulled her closer. riley smiled and looked up to him and he couldn't help but connect his lips with hers. being distracted by the kiss she didn't realise how his hand crept to the list and stole it out of hers.

"hey!," she complained and let go of the kiss. but james just laughed and pressed a kiss on the top of her head while continuing to read the list.

"oh, the good old number 7," he said quitely and chuckled. riley snorted with laughter.

"you wouldn't have let me go through with it," james insisted but the girl in his arms just continued laughing.

"trust me, i would have."

james laughed. "good thing that i just had to kiss that bingo lady instead."

riley's stomach started to hurt because she was laughing so much. there's no way in hell either of them would ever forget that. but then she got serious again.

"and all that just because beth kissed you."

he nodded. it was an awful experience but they all grew from it, even though he still blamed himself sometimes.

"i love you," he said softly and she smiled.

"and i love you."

they spent the rest of the night eating, watching movies and cuddling until they fell asleep in front of the tv.

and it's moments like that in which both of them are really glad that they always fought for each other and never gave up.

///

fluffffff, sorry if it's lame but since jiley aren't on tv anymore most of my one shots are probably gonna be pointless because i can only think of random things that they could be doing right now (this is set in s5 btw and i like to ignore the fact that riley cheated on james in s4 so i didn't include that but can you blame me)