Chapter 13

"Gumball, where's you lunch?" Fionna asked curiously, gaining the other's interests. It was known that I always packed my own meals because I was very picky. So I guess seeing me without my purple lunch box was probably odd.

I tapped my fingers on the table impatiently, my chin being supported by my palm. "Marshall is supposed to be on his way with it, but as usual, he's running late," I scoffed and checked my phone for any word from him. Nothing. I rolled my eyes and continued loathing.

"Getting hangry, Gumball?" Flame teased. I just shot him a glare.

Finally, after ten, long minutes, Marshall approached our table with a bag of Chipotle. Bonnibel trailed behind him, a big white 'VISITOR' sticker on her chest. "Thank Glob! I haven't eaten all day, I'm famished! What took you so long? I only have less than 20 minutes to eat now." I checked my watch.

Marshall paused and narrowed his eyes at me. "I don't like your tone."

"Well I don't like your face, now gimme." I held out my hand.

"Damn. Maybe he needs a snickers bar too, 'cause he is definitely not himself even he's hungry," Flame commented. I gave him another glare.

Marshall seemed to ignore him and furrowed his eyebrows at me. "Excuse me, who do you think you're talking to like that? It's not my fault the line is always huge. Also, you're freaking welcome, I went out of my way for this. So quit pouting and eat, you brat." He tossed a burrito bowl in my direction along with a fork and napkin before handing a cheese quesadilla to Bonnie and getting out his own overstuffed burrito.

I wasted no time ripping off the shiny lid and began devouring the contents inside. I'm sure I was getting all sorts of strange looks from our table but I honestly couldn't care less, I was starving. After a few large bites I gained some of my sanity again. "Thank you very much, Marshall Lee. I appreciate all the effort you went through." I gave him a side hug.

"Yeah, you better," he mumbled through a mouthful of food and hugged back briefly.

"I apologize for scolding you, but I was absolutely starving. I thought my stomach was about to digest itself. I didn't have time to eat breakfast or pack any snacks this morning."

"Oh, you poor thing," he said sarcastically. I punched his arm. "Ow! You asshole. Eat your damn food, you're being annoying." He pointed sternly to the bowl on the table. I stuck my tongue out at him and took a few more bites.

"You guys are cute," someone said from my far right. I glanced over to see Bonnibel smiling on the other side of Marshall. I jumped out of my seat and ran towards her. She stood up as well and we hugged.

"Oh, Bonnibel, I almost forgot you were here! It's so nice to see you again! I'm sorry for not acknowledging you sooner." I gave her a squeeze and pulled away, grasping her hands in mine.

"Oh no no, I understand. And it's good to see you too, Barnaby, it's been too long. How have you been?" She spoke elegantly.

"Just wonderful, thank you. How about you? Marshall mentioned to me about you staying at his house for the time being, don't worry, he spared me the details, but I understand it must be something serious," I said sympathetically. Bonnibel seems to tense up a bit.

"Yes, I'm afraid something... tragic did occur, but we're working everything out, things will get better," she said and it looked like she said it to more herself than me.

"Well that's good to hear, I hope everything works out in the end. If you ever need anything or anyone to talk to, know that I'm here for you... So, how are you and Marceline doing?" I ask changing the subject. I turn towards the table and motioned for Marshall to move over. "Scoot so Bonnibel and I can chat," I say quietly. He scoffs and moves, switching our meals and engaging in conversation with Fionna and the rest.