Chapter 9

Y/N’s POV

I sat on my side of the van, quiet as can be. Liam still seemed to be freaking out, and blaming himself, over what happened to me back at the airport. He sat on his side of the back seat mumbling to himself. I wanted to reach over and try to reassure him that everything was okay, that I was okay. I didn’t though. It was only us two in the car, other than a security guard and the driver, and there was an awkward silence that filled the car. I felt so uncomfortable. I turned to look at him, I wanted to break the silence. Kind of.

“Liam?” I whispered, kind of scared that he would snap or be mad. He didn’t say anything at first, but then he finally looked at me. My face fell when I saw that he had tear stains running down his face. I felt so bad for him.

“Why are you crying?” I asked.

“I just feel bad. You shouldn’t have gotten hurt, I should have protected you. I’m so sorry for not keeping you safe, y/n.” he said, letting go of more tears. I still didn’t understand why he was beating himself up over this.

“Don’t worry about it, I’m fine. It only hurt a bit. And, hey, at least you got to me before anymore could happen.”

“It’s not good enough. I should’ve known that letting you walk out alone something would happen. I needed to protect you. I nee-”

“Why?” I asked, cutting him off.

“Why what?” he asked, surprised that you didn’t let him finish his guilt trip.

“Why do you care? Why do you feel the need to keep me safe? It shouldn’t matter to you anymore.” I was looking him straight in the eyes, trying to be intimidating.

“Because I do. Why am I not allowed to?” he asked. I could tell he was getting angry that I would question him the way I did.

“It’s just weird.” I said, looking away and out of the car window.

“No it’s not. Why is it weird to you?” he questioned, not dropping the conversation like I hoped he would have.

“Because it is. I mean why do you care so much? I mean, we’re not together anymore, my safety is not in your hands. You shouldn’t have to feel the need to protect me.”

“It doesn’t matter. I-I still feel the need to keep you safe, can you understand that without asking questions?” He sounded a bit defensive and rude, but I ignored it.

“Fine. I’m just saying that you shouldn’t. Don’t worry about me this whole trip.” I said, stubbornly. I honestly didn’t want to try to protect me, it was all too much to handle. He was acting like a protective boyfriend, yet he wasn’t even really a friend. I didn’t know what we were right now.

“Don’t ask me to do that.” he stated.