Chapter 14

14: We’re Back Together

Leah’s Point of View

Today, we will go to Boracay. May photoshoot kasi kami dun bukas.

I gather all my things and get out of my house. I saw Clark leaning against his car with his phone on his ear and a lighted cigarette in between his pointing finger and middle finger. He inhaled from it and puffed smoke.

“I’m not coming, okay? Don’t wait for me. — We’ll be gone for just three days! That’s even too short for me. — I can cope up with you.”

After that, he put his phone back in his pocket and puffed another smoke out of his mouth. That’s when I walked towards him.

“Yah.” I called.

He looked at me, throwing the cigarette in the process.

“Oh, hey Babe!”

“I don’t want to see you smoking again.” I warned him.

“I’m sorry, babe. Tara na?”

I just nodded. We got in his car and the driver starts to drive. And the silence enveloped us.

“Clark, diba sabi ko naman sayo ‘wag mo na akong samahan? I can take care of myself. Hindi ka pa tuloy makakapag-practice.” I said to break the silence.

“Leah, do you think I’ll let you go there by yourself?”

“Pero, Clark—”

He silenced me, saying, “Shush, Babe. I just want you to be safe. Besides, don’t you want me here with you?” Then he hold my hand.

“It’s not like that. I admit I would love to be with you forever. It’s just that... I am worrying about your concert next week.”

“I already know what to do. I already practiced with them yesterday. Besides, we won’t be gone that long. It’s just three days. It is easy for me to cope up with them, too.”

“Are you sure?”

“I am certain, my lady.”

I smiled. I lean my head on his shoulder, looking up to him. He smiled back as he intertwine our fingers.

***

We arrived a bit early in Boracay. It was just noon when we arrived so we stopped by a restaurant to grab some food. After that, we strolled on the sea shore and waited for the sunset.

We sit on the sand, hand in hand. It’s like he is now my boyfriend and I’m his girlfriend. But, we are actually not. I haven’t answered him yet. But, we are like a couple, inseparable, too sweet to each other. And maybe now is the time that I answer him and become official. Besides, a month had already passed since he started to court me.

“Leah...”

His husky voice broke my trance. I hummed my response.

“I love you.”

Those three words put a smile on my face. “I love you, too—” I cupped his face and lock my eyes with his. “—my boyfriend.”

He cupped my face and pulled me to a kiss.

“Thank you, Leah. Thank you. I promise I won’t hurt you ever again. I promise you won’t regret your choice. I would take care of you and I would love you eternally.”

I flash him my sweet smile as he pulls me to a hug.

***

My consciousness came back to me. I open my eyes, only to see my boyfriend’s grin-plastered face inches away from mine.

“Good morning!” he greeted enthusiastically. I greeted him back.

“Prepare yourself, babe. We’re going out for breakfast.”

“Yeah, sure. But, only if you will get off me.”

It’s because he’s on top of me. Dinadaganan niya ako.

“Nah. You better think of a way to get me off you.”

Then he smirked.

“Please get off me.” I plead.

“No.”

“Clark.” I warned him with a glare.

“No.”

I’ve got no choice but to push him. And yes, I succeeded. Yes, indeed.

Napaupo siya sa gilid ng kama. I took the chance to run towards the bathroom. I was about to remove my top when I remembered that I haven’t brought my towel and clothes. Crap.

I stealthily opened the door and tiptoed towards my bag full of clothes. There I found my skinny black jeans, white tank top and black cardigan. Okay, I think this would do.

I stood up and was about to turn around when a pair of arms encircled my waist.

“Clark, for real? Don’t get too clingy, I still need to prepare.” I said jokingly.

“Happy birthday, Leah.”

Happy birth—day? It is my birthday today?

I let go of his hold on my waist, facing him. I cocked my head to the left. “It is my birthday today?” I asked, confused.

I really don’t know today is my birthday.

He chuckled. “For real, Leah? You don’t know it is your day today?”

I shook my head to answer his rather obvious question. He chuckled again, but this time, he is pinching my cheeks, too.

“Aww. So cute, babe.

“Yes. Today is indeed your birthday, baby.”

“What day is today? September 13?”

“Yep!” He get a hold of my hand and dragged me gently towards the bathroom saying, “So, prepare yourself now and I will just be waiting for you here.” Then he pushed me in, winking at the same time.

Oh my god! Why is my boyfriend so cute?

***

The photoshoot easily came to an end. It just took more or less an hour. Clark and I still have much time to celebrate my birthday.

Nagpunta kami sa beach. The sun is shining brightly. Andami naming ginawa duon. Like swimming and such.

It was really a happy day. I hope a sad one won’t follow.