Chapter 20

I was actually cringing while typing this part of the story. This was made purely by imagination so there's no way in hell there's a virus like this. But I just want to point out that the explanations were, well, logical at least. Something I've known from the past.

Three weeks nang puyat si Alexandria. But what could she expect? She's a doctor for chissake. It's on her job description to work more and sleep less.

The virus which attacked the kids was eventually identified as eczema virus, named after eczema itself since it resembled a little of the eczema desease, just more dangerous.

Thankfully, no one died upon having the virus. It was actually caused by desease carrying flies. So, the main cause of this epidemic among kids was actually the lack of proper waste disposal and clean sanitation. It turns out that proderm cream, made by a famous chinese dermatologist, can ease the itch away as well as heal the scars caused by too much scratching of the affected part. Tablets were actually taken too for extra measure.

The virus was attacking the children's immune system and the protecting agents in their body were trying to fight back, hence the fever. Since adults have stronger immune system than children do, this explains why only the small ones were affected of the said virus.

Lexa was lying on the bunk bed made for staffs such as doctors like her. She was sharing the room with three other pedia doctors since there were two bunk beds in the area which is actually good for four people.

The four walls of the room were cluttered with medical related posters. Something to do with remembering important medical things that were long forgotten by some doctors.

She was very comfortable lying there no matter how small the space was. It's crazy but it reminded Lexa of her place back when she was still in college, as she was sharing it with a room mate too.

She was about to close her eyes to have a twenty-minute sleep when someone opened the door. "Lexa!"

Umungol lang siya at tinalikuran ang kasamahan. Pakiramdam niya'y magco-collapse yata siya kung uutusan nanaman siya nitong gawin ang rounds niya.

Naramdaman niya ang pag-upo nito sa kama nang kaunting lumundag 'yon. "Alexandria." anito at pilit pa siyang ginising.

"Drew, ano ba. Kitang natutulog ang tao eh." reklamo niya. Isa si Drew sa mga room mate niya ro'n. Hindi kasi by gender ang pag a-assign ng rooms. Depende lang kung saan specialized and pagdo-doctor mo. Sa mga nurses lang kasi applicable ang by gender na quarters.

"Something really, really interesting was going on in the board room. Lumabas ka muna kahit saglit lang. Halika na." hinila siya nito ngunit nagpabigat siya upang hindi siya nito tuluyang maitayo.

"Puyat ako, Andrew. Mas prioritize ko ang matulog kaysa ang maki-chismis. Saka pwede ba, ka lalaki mong tao ang chismo-chismoso mo." puna niya at nagtalukbong na ng kumot upang hindi na siya distorbohin pa nito.

"Diba gutom ka?"

"Sa lagay kong 'to, mas pipiliin ko pang matulog at kainin ng buhay ng mga bitok ko."

"Naman, Lexa! Hindi ka pwedeng matulog." ungot pa nito habang hinihila ang kumot na nakatalukbong sa kanya. "Diba nga kanina ka pa nagrereklamong gutom ka? 'Lika na, sasamahan kitang kumain kung gusto mo. Basta samahan mo muna ako."

"Pati ba naman karapatan kong matulog kukunin mo sa'kin? Eto na nga lang meron ako. Pambihira ka naman Andrew oh." unti-unting naiinis na sabi niya. "Baka nakakalimutan mong nobyo ko ang unico hijo ng Pilipinas? Gusto mo bang ipa-shoot-to-kill kita?"