Promises

The company was gathered in Bard's house, frozen to the bone. Bard and his daughters were passing out dry clothes and blankets. "They may not be the best fit, but they'll keep you warm." he said. Talia was shivering terribly when Bard's younger daughter handed her what appeared to be a child's dress.

Though she wanted so badly to reject her, Talia smiled at the young girl's kindness. "Thanks." she said gratefully, and the girl nodded. "What's your name?" Talia asked.

"Tilda." she answered.

The Terran's smile widened. "You're very pretty, Tilda, has anyone ever told you that?" Tilda gave a big smile, and looked down, giving a shy nod as she walked on.

Talia was about to get up to change when she noticed Thorin staring out the crack of the window. She followed his gaze to see what looked like some kind of ultra-bow. "A Dwarvish wind-lance." she heard him whisper. The young woman walked towards the leader.

"Are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost."

Balin approached and answered her before Thorin could. "He has. The last time we saw such a weapon, a city was on fire. It was the day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale." Talia widened her eyes as Thorin looked away from the window. She could tell by the look on his face that he was trying not to think about it.

"Girion, the Lord of the city, rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast." Balin continued. "But a dragon's hide is tough, tougher than the strongest armor. Only a black arrow, fired from a wind-lance, could have pierced the dragon's hide. And few of those arrows were ever made. His store was running low when Girion made his last stand."

The young woman looked at Thorin with wide eyes. "Had the aim of Men been true that day, much would have been different." he lamented. Before Talia could reply, she heard footsteps coming from behind.

"You speak as if you were there." Bard said somewhat suspiciously.

Thorin raised his eyebrows. "All Dwarves know the tale." he told him. Then Bard's son, Bain, took a step forward.

"Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon. He loosened a scale under the left wing. One more shot and he would've killed the beast."

Dwalin gave a small scoff. "That's a fairy story, lad. Nothing more." he said. Not wanting to talk about this anymore, Thorin looked up at Bard once more.

"You took our money. Where are the weapons?" he asked.

"Wait here." Bard said.

While Bard was going out to get the weapons, Talia was taken into a separate room by the Man's older daughter so she could change out of her wet clothes. The young woman was grateful that Tilda had added a pair of trousers for her to wear underneath. Once she was all set, she did what she could at the moment to fix up the messy bun in her hair. Overall, she figured that she looked better than she did when they entered the town, though she noticed that Laketown clothes don't exactly match her high tops.

When the young woman came back out, she could see the Dwarves arguing about the weapons that Bard had provided them with. Talia peered over at the table, and could see that the weapons...weren't exactly weapons. They looked more like fishing tools than anything. But then again, what else should they have been expecting from a town full of poor, hungry fishermen?

"You won't find better outside the city armory. All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key." Bard warned.

"Thorin. Why not take what's been offered and go? I've made do with less, so have you. I say we leave now." Balin said.