Chapter 3

Katy’s POV

“Lexy, I think she’s dead.” Brie told her dryly.

“Cool, I got dibs on her bedroom.” Lexy replied enthusiastically.

Brie started jabbing me in the shoulder but I was too busy counting the invisible flakes of dust that were floating around my room. 23,049; 23,050; 23,051.  Lexy then moved in front of me causing the air to swirl and making my process began all over again: 1; 2; 3.

“I think something is wrong with her.” Lexy said to Brie.

“No wonder, you saw Tim. He gave us the most frightened face I have ever seen on any wolf.  Then Cam came along and he looked like he was walking away from a war zone.” Brie commented back.

“Oh, oh, oh.  Did you see the new wolf?  He-” Lexy started to say but cut herself off when she saw my head swing around at the mention of Kyle and my gaze pierced right through her. 

“Why’d you get quiet?” Brie asked.

I rotated my head to the right and stared daggers at Brie.  She had her back to me and was staring at my Edward Cullen poster that was plastered to the back of my door so that no one could see it but me.  At the top it said Team Edward and at the bottom it read: Can I have a bite? I promise to be gentle.   

Sensing my glare she whipped around and blanched at my all will die stare.  “Whoa, K, calm down, I promise that I won’t tell anyone about the poster, I promise.”

“I don’t think she is worried about you.” Lexy squeaked out.

Already, she had her back to the wall and she was edging toward my window in case things got ugly.  She could always jump and get away. Leaving Brie to her own devices and possible doom.

“Then what? I don’t see her about ready to kill you.” She pointed out.

“Oh that’s because I already got my turn when I started talking about the new hunk of a wolf.  She gave me the ‘Start on that and let’s find out what I can remove from your very fragile body and relocate to blank’ face.

“New wolf?” She visibly shuttered when I gave her the face that Lexy had just described. “Oooooooooooooooooh!  Katy likes the new guy!” she began dancing and singing around me, “Katy and the new guy sittin’ in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g.  First comes love, then comes mating, next comes the puppies in the puppy carriage!” she kept twirling around and circled around me flinging her hands up in the air like she was some Native American singing a song around a bonfire. (Think of Peter Pan)

“Enough.” The wolf was pushing against all my restraints and was desperate enough to go and mark and claim Kyle just to get her to shut up and so that she wouldn’t go rubbing her filthy paws all over him like some prized meat.   Whoa there Katy, calm down, I told myself.  Man I really needed that nap.  He’s not yours, either; but, it would be nice for her to shut her trap before it gets sown together, for good. 

Brie and Lexy were on the floor.  They had their necks bared and both pairs of eyes were glued to the floor.  I cocked my head to the side, wondering what they were doing. So I asked them.

“What are you guys doing?” I laughed at them.

Neither answered.

“You can get up now; I promise I won’t kill you.”

They sat up, but kept their eyes down and trained on the carpet like it was the most interesting thing in the whole, wide, world.  I then saw the problem.  I was out of control.  Just like Kyle said.  Damn him knowing that I was about to go psycho.  I still didn’t like people telling me what to do.  Power was pouring from me and it was on the large side.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole three-acre territory, in which the pack lived on, could feel it.  If I were them I would be doing the same thing.  Taking a deep breath I began to focus all my energy into pulling it back.  The anger that had caused the reaction, of letting loose, needed to be tamed and forgiven.   My eyes closed and I focused on the thing that plagued my mind.  The freaking blue eyes of the boy that caused all this in the first place.