Chapter 8

Kyle’s POV

I watched Katy disappear into her father’s office and almost instantly my wolf became agitated with the fact that he could no longer see his mate.  I took a step toward the door, but before I could take another, I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I whipped around and a growl had started up in my throat before I realized that it was only Mrs. Watcher.  I took a step back, slightly horrified that I, for that brief second, thought of hurting my mate’s mother.

She gave me a small smile, “Dear, if I had a dollar for every time someone growled at me for some reason or another, I could be living in a mansion, on the Caribbean shore, sunbathing.”

I gave a small smile back and followed her into the kitchen.  She pulled out a chair from the dinner table and I followed suit and sat down on the opposite side of the table so that I was able to face her face first. 

“Have you ever found it odd that Katy has five other twin brothers? God was I hormonal during that pregnancy with six kids in me.” She began.

I raised an eyebrow, sure shifters were known to have twins and even triplets but sextuplets were a little much.

 “Katy,” she continued, “was obviously the one fraternal child while the other five were all buddy-buddy.  Funny thing was, that they were conceived and matured the whole time I was in wolf form, I never left or rather shifted back to human.”

“How is that even possible?” I asked.  Shifters often could never shift back if they stayed in their wolf form for that long. 

She chuckled softly, “Let me just tell you the whole story.  It will probably make more sense if I started at the beginning anyways. 

I was nineteen and I was in the temperate rainforest somewhere between Canada and Alaska.  At the time I was only human and the only reason why I was there was because my dad was the leading botanist studying the plant life there.  I had graduated high school about a year before and was on summer break from college, and since my mom had passed away just a couple months before, I decided I wanted to hang out with my father, since for all I knew, he could pass away and leave me with no family. 

Both my parents were only children and so was I, so I would have no one if or when my father died.  It was maybe a week after I arrived, did I finally grow a pair and decide to go out exploring.  My father had warned me about the dangerous animals that were out there, but that only made me that much more stubborn and to not remain inside the compound.  At first, I did heed his warning, after all I didn’t want to be the girl that ended up ripped and mauled apart by some random animal. Little did I know that one day I would no longer heed that warning.

Little did I know that on that day, I would meet my mate, Steven.  He was there for the annual meet between the local bear, lynx, and cougar clans.  One of Steven’s old friends was a bear and he had been asked there to be a mediator of sorts, just to be sure nothing got out hand. 

It was the evening time when I wandered out, stupid on so many levels because eventually I ended up traveling farther away than I had ever anticipated.  It soon grew dark and the temperature dropped a couple of degrees.  Not to the point where I would immediately freeze to death, but enough to make me shiver in my jeans and thin t-shirt.

 I was scared out of my ever loving mind.  I knew animals could smell fear, and that honestly freaked me out even more since I was already afraid from the fact that I was lost, in a forest, in the dark, with a lot of animals with sharp teeth.  My father probably didn’t even know I was gone since he probably had his eyeballs still attached to the microscope he loved more than me.  Even worse than that was that I didn’t even have a flashlight or any weapon to save myself.