The Girlfriend

As high school went along, Mattie and I became closer and closer. It was at the point of midnight phone calls, going out with his friends, and daily chats at our lockers. I thought I might finally have a chance, that he would realize what I wanted. But all too soon, summer came, and I made it to tenth grade.

Mattie and I were still very close. We hadn't really talked through the summer, but that gave us more to talk about when we got to school. It made me confident and happy. But I realized, I can't keep holding back my feelings. I decided that I would tell him what I felt.

I was standing by his locker, waiting for him so that I could finally get what I needed to say off my chest. I was nervous, and the fluttering in my stomach and in my heart would not stop. Finally, I found him in the sea of people.

"Mattie-" I started to call out.

But just as I started to make my way towards him, a skinny brunette walked to him, wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed him. And all I could do was stand there, paralyzed.

I later found out that the girl's name was Geena. They had been going out for around a month now. She was pretty, popular, and in Mattie's grade. She was the kind of girl who wore beanies and dark lips. I hated her. I hated her so much. But, overall, I was more hurt that Mattie didn't tell me about her.

After a day or two, I decided to confront Mattie about Geena. He stayed late after school for basketball practice, so I decided to wait for him. After his practice was over, the boys from his team started to flood out of the building. As soon as I saw him, I grabbed him and took him somewhere private.

"Sydney! Why are you here?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I hissed through my teeth.

"What are you talking about?"

"I think you can figure this one out for yourself."

"Sydney, I still don't know what's going on..."

"I'm talking about Geena. Why didn't you tell me about her?"

"I don't know, Sydney, it just never occurred to me!", he said, raising his voice a little. "Why do you even care so much?"

His words stung, but I kept on going.

"Because...", I started to tear up, and turned my head away from him. "Because... you mean a lot to me Mattie. I really care about you. But it doesn't matter. I'm not some pretty white girl like Geena, I can't make you happy."

There was a deep silence. Then Mattie let out a long sigh. Before I knew what was happening, he cupped my face with his hand and pulled me into a kiss. I was surprised at first, but then I relaxed and kissed him back. He held me in his strong arms for what seemed to be forever, but still not long enough.

When we broke apart, he grinned.

"Sydney, I thought if never get to do that."

And in that moment, I felt the glow come back to my cheeks.