The Illusion Of Dreams

Last night, Trey and I stayed out untill 11:30. After I got home, it took me hours to go to sleep. When I did, I had a dream. It started out with me sitting on a park bench, Mattie next to me. I remembered the park. It's the one outside of my school. This is where I grew up. My friends and I have so many memories here, all tucked away in the grooves of tree branches. As the dream goes on, the sun starts rising, and Mattie takes my hand in his. I know it's just a dream, but I can still feel the warmth of his palm. Leaves start falling from trees, and flowers slowly start to bloom on branches in their place.

As this happens, I lean in to kiss Mattie. Only then do I see that it's not Mattie at all.

Trey is the one staring down at me, taking my face in his palms and kissing my lips. I don't stuggle, or try to break away, I just melt into his kiss.

When I wake, I feel a wave of guilt wash over me. I'm panting, as if I've had a nightmare. I climb out of my bed and put my hair into a messy top bun. Then I grab for my phone. I want to call the hospital. 

Before I can dial the number, my phone begins to vibrate in my hands. It's Trey. 

"Hello?"

"Hey, Syd."

"Why the hell are you calling me at six in the morning?" I hiss.

"Easy there, grumpy, just calling to see if you slept okay."

I let out a sigh, "Yeah, I guess I did."

"You guess?"

"Well, it's just that... I had a weird dream."

"Oh, sorry. Did you get enough sleep?"

"Yeah, enough to make it through the day. I want to go to the hospital, but visiting hours don't start 'till eleven. I guess you knew that, though."

"Yeah," he chuckled,"I knew. Oh, by the way, hows Mattie doin'?"

"He's fine."

"Oh... okay." He sounded confused.

"What is it?"

"Well, nothin really..."

"Trey. What is it?!" I said with frustration.

"Okay, alright. I'm wondering why they're keeping him so long. Shouldn't he be out by now? Do you know why?"

The question hit me with a slap. Why were they keeping him so long?

I didn't know.

"I... I don't know why..."

"Sydney, it's probably nothi-"

"I've got to go Trey. Bye."

I hung up the phone and threw it across my room. I hadn't thought about it before. Why were they keeping him? Is he alright? God, I hope he's alright. Please, Jesus.

~*~

I didn't go to the hospital like I wanted to. Infact, I didn't even leave my room that day. I just sat and sulked. What was going on? Did Mattie know why he was being held? And if he did, why didn't he tell her? Thoughts washed through my head like running water. I picked up my phone to check if I had any messages. Nothing. 

God, I was lonely. Even so, I stayed in. That night, my sister came home. She had been on a month long trip to Paris, when I heard her keys in the door, I ran right to the living room and waited for the door to swing open. When it did, my sister was standing there with a shit-load of bags and a tired face. She was wearing leggings, a long-sleeved shirt, and a pretty infinity scarf. I screamed and flung myself on to her.

"TOOOOOORRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!"

"Oh my god, Sydney! You're gonna knock me over! Jesus!"

"Tori, I missed you, I missed you, I missed you, I missed you!"

A look of doubt crossed her face, "Really...?"

"No, not really, but I've been lonelyyyyyyyy."

"Oh, shut up." She pushed off me and headed towards her room.

"Nice to see you too, Gollum!" I yelled to her before she slammed her door. Believe it or not, I had kind of missed my sister. It was nice to have someone to talk to when I was fed-up with my friends.

And now that she was back, I would have to tell her everything...