The First Years

Through middle school, Mattie drifted away, he was too busy with his school work to have time to talk to me and my friends. When he graduated into high school, and I was still stuck in eighth grade, I still kept on thinking of him. I didn't feel the same about any of the other boys in school. I didn't want anyone else. I wanted Mattie. And I wanted him to know that.

When I got into high school, I was worried that Mattie might not have stayed at our school. My first day, I wandered all over the place looking for him. I couldn't find him anywhere. I had given up hope. I was sure he had left. I slumped against my locker, and felt a hollow feeling in my chest, like someone had taken away my heart, and never wanted to give it back. I raised my head, about to walk away. And in that moment, I saw him.

He was standing by his locker, talking to his friend. I felt a wave of relief. His eyes traveled from his friend and found me. He said goodbye, and started walking over to me. I stood up a little straighter and smiled. As he stopped, I felt a wave of heat rush over my body. He smiled and said, "Hey, Sydney. I haven't seen you in a year! How do you like high school?"

And all I could do was smile and say, "It's better, now."