Silent

I can't move. My body feels as if it's slowly breaking down, my brain freezing mid thought. Air can't find it's way to my lungs, and my hand start to shake.

"Hello? Sydney?"

I return to the awful reality in front of me.

"Y-yes, I'm here. What happened? Have you called 911?"

"Yeah, uh, yes. Yes I did."

She never answered my question. What happened? I didn't ask again.

"Oh, oh, I hear the sirens. I have to go! Jesus Mattie hold on... we'll call you later Sydn-" The line was cut off.

I felt my phone drop from my hands. Wet tears rolled down my cheek, but I just let them flow. Jesus. What is going on.

Mattie is gone. I can't reach him.

He's out of my grasp.

~•~

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

His steady heart rate shown on the monitors of the machines calms me more than anything else. His hospital room is small and gray. It makes me sad that he has to be here.

Soon after my first call, I received one from the hospital where Mattie had been taken to. It was within walking distance of my home and school. I ran to the facility and was greeted by a sobbing blonde, and a boy with brown eyes that matched his shirt. He couldn't stop shaking.

The blonde introduced herself as Sabrina, but I could just call her Bri.

Bri. Continued to cry, but calmed down when I asked her what happened.

It was late. Mattie and two of the other guys wanted to go to the stream. He convinced everyone else to go as well. It was too dark for them to be out there. Mattie was walking in the front, and Jona (The brown eyed boy at the hospital) challenged him to a race. They ran ahead, until they were out of sight. Suddenly, there was a large crash, and you couldn't hear Mattie's laughter anymore. They ran over, and saw Mattie. He had slipped on a rock near the stream and fallen down a small ditch.

He had a concussion, and broken his leg, wrist, and back.

This room is too silent.