||S t o r y||

E i g h t e e n
This one is for Szkiayani :)

PG-16(mild sexual harrassment)

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope."

-Sent in by FarzanaBai-

Mashal

I had always wanted a world tour but never in my wildest dreams had I imagined that I would be going from England to Syria but instead, would end up in Pakistan and from there I would reach Afghanistan.

I mean, what an amazing world tour.

Ignoring everything that had happened, I had eaten the dinner the women gave to me after Sanan left.

It was cold meatballs with rice and even though it wasn't the most delicious, I still ate like my life depended on it, because it really did. I was starving.

Being the curious cat that I am, I had asked those women who they were and found out that they were the widows of those terrorists who had done suicide attacks or were killed by Alnihayya.

One of them, Shafin, was just my age, seventeen and pregnant, she kept on crying aboyt how her child would never be able to see his father.

And I learned for the first time ever, that terrorism is not beneficial for anyone, not even for the terrorists themselves.

That made me just so sad that without complaining, I prayed isha and curled into a ball on the floor, beneath the blanket of soft furs and dozed off.

The next day, the chirping of birds in the chill hour before fajr woke me up.
I looked around to find the women still asleep around me, wrapped up in numerous self made blankets.

It was still dark and I knew no one was going to wake up anytime soon so I slid my hand underneath my abaya to reach the back pocket of my pant. My fingers felt the touch of metal and I sighed in relief.

My phone was still there.

After inspecting around me one last time to make sure no one was watching, I took it out.
The first thing I did was turning it to silent mode and reducing the brightness to the lowest but when my eyes landed on the network signals, I knew my phone would be of no use.

We were somewhere near the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan in a completely uninhabited place, there was no way I was going to find any signals here.

On the brighter side, I could use it as a torch.

I ruffled out of the furs, trying to make as little noise as possible, not wanting to wake the women up.
It was not time for fajr yet but I wanted to pray witr. I couldn't find any water around, nor was there any space in the hut for me to pray. It was all just crowded with the sleeping bodies of those women.

Even though I knew that going out at that time wasn't a good idea but that was my only option.

Being skinny comes in handy in situations like these. I just had to open the door a little to make space for me. I slipped out quietly under the silent sky in teeth shattering cold.