Chapter 9: War

Crackles of lightning sparked the air with the heat of flame and the crisp coldness of frost. Each mage seemed to be surrounded in their own small climate as they shot off wave of element spells. The knights being hit could do nothing but try and dodge the onslaught as they were sitting ducks inside the wall trap. The lava pit had already claimed many a knight, nothing left of them now burnt to a complete crisp. Arrows were being shot from the other side of the wall blindly hoping for a hit. All in vain as three very skilled mage had placed a wind barrier around the area they fought allowing no arrows in. All three huddles together chanting their spell over and over.

“We need to think of something we are being picked off here, what numbers matter if we are funnelled.” Spat out Jaq as he watched his men get shot down from the wall.

“You are right Jaq.” Itching his now young chin the king looked at the situation and then the idea hit him. “That’s it!” Turning to his army he shouted out. “Bring me the battering ram, break the wall it will cover the trap on the other side” The plan was so simple yet it would work. Jaq felt like kicking himself how did he not think of it. Coext noticed a change in Jaq’s stance. “Don’t worry you would have figured it out, the difference between us is that I am of fresh mind you have been here weeks. Don’t kick yourself we are all human.”

The ground rumbled gently as the great metal ram moved slowly towards the earth wall blocking the armies advance.

“Fortify the surrounding streets get ready for the incoming attack.” Newt barked at his mage and city guard.

Scrambling around they did as told placed walls with magic and placed themselves on buildings and rooftops ready for the stampede. They watched as the ram tilted back and with a swoosh creaked and clashed with the wall. No were near as sturdy as the city walls the earth wall crumbled and fell into the lava pit making room for knights to get through. Once again a surge of knights pressed through the gap. Again a barrage of elements hit down upon them. The screams started again and the chaos ensued.

No more waves no more plans this was the final chance. They needed to keep the knights at bay they must. Jumping headfirst into a pit of knights Newt lashed out slicing armour and flesh with little effort. Swaying through the crowd like water he dodged all incoming attacks and even his own side’s moves. Ten minutes passed and the knights now passed the wall blocking them could not pass Newt and his invisible line. He stood as the wall and the mage behind him the range.

The running stopped and the knights stood ready watching Newt to make the first move. Running at him did nothing but get them killed. Newt looked at his endless barrage of enemies and was thinking of ways to slow them down. Then the unexpected happened. An order no one saw coming.

“Fall back I want through!” The voice was from Coext.

Passing through the white metal Coext appeared young and full of energy. Newt could not believe what he was looking at.

“King Coext?” confusion in his voice and plastered across his face.

“Yes indeed.” He replied with a smirk on his face.

Unclipping his cape he threw it back onto one of his knights. “You seem to be holding up this battle. Why don’t you give up? You are outnumbered and if you give up I promise no harm will come to you. You won’t even be jailed.” His arms crossed and sympathy in his heart.

“I can’t do that sire. We fight because you are hunting good mage and have done for too long. You need to be stopped.”

A darting stare from the king hit Newt but he brushed it off. “Can you not see they were needed? I am trying to bring peace to this broken world. I am sick of battles and war I am trying to forge a new world without that problem and if I must take a few innocent people to do it. Then so be it this is all for the betterment of the world.”

“What you are doing is madness, and you must be stopped and if that means I must kill you then I will.”

“Shame,” turning to his knights he spoke once more. “None of you interfere I want to test this body of mine.”

Newt shouted to his men. “Same goes for you lot, if I fall, Get to sector two.”

Both men looked at each other for a while walking around each other circling. Newt held his sword down by his side while Coext took out a long wooden sword he carried.

“King Coext you used to go by another name, Coext the holy sword saint. A sword master who never used a lethal sword or took the life off an enemy.”

“I am impressed you know.” A smirk on his face as they did their little dance.

“I was just a pup at the time but Tate told me all about you.”

A chuckle escaped from Coext as he spoke. “Am sure he did. Am sure he did.”

Both still looked at each other waiting for the first to move. A signal of any sort would be the trigger they just waited for it. A crackle in the air from an old effect from a lightning spell. The trigger was found and the contestants burst towards each other.