Chapter 29: Freedom.

Inside the small shack was in fact a giant hall larger than any building would allow and much bigger than the shack could ever possibly hold. The wood on the floor was dark and worn; the walls were made from white stone much like the one that made up Gord great white wall. A large red door was in the centre of the hall with many smaller red doors scattered around the hall. Inside hundreds sat around large tables chatting, eating or reading. The place was the headquarters of the resistance or the last stand of free mage. At the very end of the hall was a large table long and facing out towards the rest of the tables. It had one large seat in the centre. Unique to the rest it was white and seemed to morph depending on the mage close to it. Fire adapts mage, it would burn, and Water it would ripple and air it would turn transparent. But for the leader of the resistance it took a very unique form one only the leader could invoke.

Opening the red door Res walked through into the hall to get a greeting by a few of the passing mage. He just kept his face to the ground, he hated the fact that his ass was handed to him by his uncle.

“Looking glum their boy,” The voice was old and that of a woman. Res knew who it was before he looked up. The voice belonged to Fure.

“I got beat again granny.” Res said before he felt the sharp pain of a cane across his jaw.

“I told you to not call me granny, makes me feel old. Fure will do.” She spat out.

“But Gr-“Before he could finish the cane was across his face again.

Fure looked at her grandchild and smiled. Twenty years had taken its toll on her. She now required the stick at all times to move and her once strong body now a shell. Her muscles gone and her eye sight fading a dull brown was in her eyes from its shining brown Asura days. Her hair was kept tied up grey and old. Wrinkles scarred her face and a few of her teeth missing. She had a brutal personality and was a master tactician but when it came to a few people she was the softest and most loveable person who walked.

“The leader is coming so you better get ready. Things have changed.”

Res just nodded and ran forward towards the main table at the top of the hall. As he approached the changing chair it disappeared. It only did this for him no one else. Fure and Jmor say it is because it cannot bear to look at such weakness. It wishes itself away rather than face Res.

“Yo boy how’s the training going?” asked Set.

Res turned to be faced with the tired bald head of Set. The current sword saint. He held four swords two on each side of his belt all in different scabbards. He always wore large baggy clothing and he was sporting a large copper beard. His eyes with their purple surrounding and dull blue colour looked into Res very soul. He had a mixed accent of a person who has travelled but was from Gord.

“Not good.” Res sighed.

A smile crossed Set’s bearded face as he replied. “Well keep trying after all you have two beasts blood running through your veins, then again. You could be adopted and have common blood in you. Who knows I sure don’t, nor care or do I?”

“I wasn’t adopted!” Res said as he looked at the laughing face of Set.

“How do you know that?”

“I do.”

“Here is your chance ask.”

The hall door opened and then a large group of mage entered the hall all wearing large brown hooded robes all but one.

She walked with power and it was disserved it wasn’t mere confidence that made her walk this way it was earned. She wasn’t tall, nor was she short she was off medium height. Long blonde hair draped from her head and down onto her lower back. Her face was peachy and skinny, lips red as crimson blood and blue eyes that haunted dreams. She wore a leather top apart from her right arm that was exposed and covered with black bandages. Her trousers were baggy and on her left a small dagger was held in place by a belt.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Arch-Mage Samth the Angelic has arrived!” Boomed Set.

Everyone in the hall all held down their heads in respect even, Jmor and Fure did so, All but Set and Res did this.

“Mother is it true am I adopted?” Res shouted.

Samth smiled looked at her son and then she noticed Set next to her son and she knew why he asked.  “Respex you aren’t Adopted. You are indeed my son. Don’t listen to Set.”

Truning Res looked at his mum before barking once more. “Don’t call me that my name is Res, I hate Respex!”

“That is your name and I will call you it!” Mana exploded out of Samth and hit Res with a wave on intense heat. Her control on mana was the best in the world and if she willed it, she could have burned, thrown or killed her son. Res with a whimper lowered his head as Set laughed. Then a great bam exploded as a large hole stood in the ground were Set should have been standing if he hadn’t moved.

“Now, now Samth, twas only fun.” Set said nervously. Now was not the time to fight Samth and even if he did on ideal day, he wasn’t sure who would win and neither did she.

“Every time you have harmless fun with Respex, he always gets upset.” Samth said as she walked towards the main seat.

As she approached the seat it reappeared and morphed in shape of a giant hand. It opened up and embraced Samth protecting her in pure blue mana.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I have news to report. We have breached the castle and now have a door entering it. In the next coming days we will gather up our troops and pull an all-out assault on the kings castle and finally win this war and allow mage to freely use magic. When I started to learn magic it was free to do so, now you must have a licence and report to the king’s personal guard on weekly checks. The great city of Gord is gone and what took its place is beyond evil.”

A voice boomed from the room. “What of our other problem that lurks in Skov. What of the monsters the disbanded Asura and their leader. Dypes.”

“One problem at a time” Said Samth as she stood up. “We are not powerful enough yet to take on Dypes. I am not powerful enough to take him on. We need the kingdom entirely on our side first and with us and the main army of one, fighting side by side he can purge the demons from our lands and reclaim the throne of magic. The white wonder that is Gord.” Throwing her right bandaged hand up she roared. “Help me get our homes back, Help me achieve the impossible. Help me bring peace to Skov!”

The room exploded with cheers even Res was thrown in with the atmosphere of the room. Sadness was in his blue eyes when he looked at his mother’s arm, he knew it was his fault it was bandaged but he knew he couldn’t do anything about it. He needed strength. Gritting his teeth he pushed through the hall towards his door. He gritted his teeth and determination was in his eyes. He wanted to repay his mother and help the cause. He needed strength and he knew one who could grant it. Even if his mother wouldn’t agree.