Prologue

The thick fog clouded my lenses, a string of curses leaving my lips as I snatched my thickly framed glasses from my face and roughly shoved them into my pocket.

The early morning atmosphere in Columbus–in he middle of November–wasn't the best thing to deal with, especially when you insist you wouldn't need winter outerwear, seeing as you never left the house.

Oh how I wish I'd invested in more than just crop tops and shorts so short they displayed my ass.

Dad forbid me from ever going into the forest behind our house, especially in the middle of the night, due to the countless rumours of there being drug dealers and rapists beyond the thick shrubbery.

A bit hypocritical if you ask me, seeing as he runs a damn drug dealing business.

But after the rude awakening I had(also known as my step-sister being just as much of a slut as I am, only, early in the morning, rather than late at night), I refused to listen to any more of her terrifying pterodactyl screeches.

So now I, a 17 year old idiot, am outside, in the the middle of a forest, in the dark, without my phone. Why the hell didn't I at least think to bring that?

I'm literally in a fucking forest with no way to communicate with anyone in case I fall down a whole and end up in fucking Wonderland. Great.

Snap.

I froze, slowly turning around and squinting as a bright light shone directly at my face, momentarily blinding me.

The light dimmed as my breathing caught in my throat, the other figure approaching me while my heart hammered in my chest.

"Who...are you?"