Epilogue & Final Authors Notes

Here it is

-------------♥-------------

EPILOGUE

You can either play the song "To Build a Home" by "Cinematic Orchestra" or "A Thousand Years Pt. 2" by "Christina Perri ft. Steve Kazee" right now xx

The gravel beneath my feet sounded like pebbles being crushed below car tires. The cold, chilly, November air brushed against my cheeks. My eyes didn't dare to look up from the pebbled pathway. I was afraid that, if I looked up, I would crumble. I can't fall down yet. I have to do this. I haven't been home in years. I was so young when I moved from Cheshire. Now I've returned and I couldn't be any more nervous.

I looked at the address on the paper in my shaky hands. Just a little bit more walking; a little bit more thinking. I'm so scared. My mouth is dry, my palms frozen, and my eyes fixated on my feet. My heart was beating so fast that I could barely match the pacing of my steps with it.

It's been so long that I literally can feel my heart beating out of my chest. Anyone could hear it from a mile away. My fist clenched around the flowers in my hands. Tears threatened to spill but I pushed them back. I gulped harshly when I had reached my destination. I looked down at the rock and closed my eyes before reading the words on the stone.

"MARIAH ANNE STYLES

LOVING MOTHER AND FRIEND

AND A HERO TO MANY

1970-2005"

I sucked in the cold air and got on my knees in front of her tombstone. I looked at the flowers before setting them down on the grass near my side. I let out a sigh as a single tear ran down my cheek. Due to this chilly air, I'm surprised it didn't turn into an icicle.

"Hi...mum." I whispered. "Happy birthday." I smiled to her.

No reply. I don't know why I'm expecting a response. Sitting here waiting for an answer is like waiting for the rain in Africa.

"You know, it has been a while since I've talked to you. I feel like the world has forgotten you. But I never could. Come on, mum, I need to tell you how wonderful my life is." I choked on my tears. I closed my eyes sharply, afraid to let more tears fall. I reopened them and swallowed.

"I graduated. I know how much you wanted to go to my graduation. Well I took pictures. Maybe-" I cut myself off. "Maybe one day you can see them." I nodded to myself. This is so hard. How can anyone do this?! In the films, they make it look so easy. In reality, this is the hardest thing I've had to do. Other than losing my mother of course.

I sucked in another cold breath. "I'm-uh...getting married." I smiled looking down at my engagement band, immediately think of Liam. Then my fingers toyed with the Toys Story bracelet that Liam gave to me nearly a year ago at Zayns party. "A Spring wedding with flowers and such. Just like you always wanted," I smiled. He's...he's...perfect." My voice cracked. "He is just the best. You would've loved him. I know how much he wishes he could have met you." I bit my lip. "You...you always told me that you wanted your only son to be happy. No matter who it was, you wanted me to be loved. Well he is." I nodded, my tears now non-stop. I looked down at my lap as a tear dropped onto my hand. A few more tears blurred my vision. I blinked and they fell.

"I know how much you love peach roses." I looked at the roses in my hands. "So, I got them for you." I placed them on her tombstone.

My eyes etched every feature on her tombstone. They eventually fell on the photos of her. One was of her and me when I was about 9. The other one was of her at a banquet where she was awarded "Nurse of the Year" at her hospital. I have always loved that picture. She truly was an amazing woman. She gave patients hope. She gave me hope.