Chapter 4

*Sorry it's short, just leading up really to the next one*

"I...I know..." I do feel I should explain myself to him, but I don't want to. I should just leave. At that thought, I stand to walk out but Mark grabs my wrist to stop me from going. I tense in anticipation of what's to come, but only this time I'm not greeted by a sharp sting to my cheek, instead, I'm greeted by Mark Owen, who's looking very concerned. I don't know why. I'm just some girl he found crying in an alley way... So why's he so worried about me? I don't know. "Please... you don't need me... I'm sorry." I attempt to pull away but he doesn't let me. "I want to help, Jess. If you let me..." He pleads, looking at me in a way I can't say no. Admitting defeat, I slump back down in the chair. I see Mark take a deep breath of relief as I return, taking a seat opposite me. "I get it if you don't want to talk to me about it. But I just don't want you getting hurt and..." He swallows deeply at the thought. "If someone did this to you, they need to-" I cut him off. "No" I realise my words were a little bit too sharp and correct myself. "I mean... n..no... he can't" Mark raises an eyebrow at me. "He? someone did this to you... well... of course they did. Jess... who was it? I mean... If you want to tell me. If you don't, I understand but I want to help. Whoever he is you don't want him arrested or anything so I won't go to the police." My head shoots up.
"Y... You won't?" I ask, just to clarify things. He nods unsure and I can't help but wonder if I trust him. I mean, of course I do. He's Mark Owen! Mark Owen, as in, the man who got me through it all. Surely I can trust him, right?