4

We had a small wedding, not the kind a billionaire would have. Just a few friends in a small church. Since we both have no family, we didn't make it big. When the wedding was over we had a little cocktail party for friends and colleagues. It was much fun. My best friend delilah came from Lagos. Her wedding gift was a vacation ticket to Paris. My dad's closest friend, chief abayomi gave us a big house,well furnished . It was all so overwhelming! We flew to Hawaii the next day for our honeymoon. Richard was ever so sweet and caring. The place was beautiful, so romantic. By the time we arrived at our lodge I was exhausted. We took a hot bath together, he wrapped me up in a towel and carried me to bed, then he went back to the bathroom. I was a bit shy looking at him cos it's the first time he has seen me naked. My heart was thumping. I was tired. I knew what was expected of me but I just wasn't ready for it (any thought of intimacy freaks me out). He came out wearing a bathrobe and sat next to me. "Hey Mrs Richard" he whispered in my ear. I was breathless. I smiled and he kissed me. It felt like heaven. I wrapped my arms around him and we cuddled. "You seem a bit tense. What's wrong baby?" "nothing, it's just that I'm tired" he smiled. "I know baby, I happen to know a quick way to ease your stress" he winked. I laughed "uhmm.. richard" I started. "hush baby, say no more... I understand. I'd never do anything you're not comfortable with. We can wait till whenever you're ready" I smiled and looked into his eyes. he's so charming. He kissed me passionately like he has never kissed me before.
******************************************
That night was the best experience of my life. He showed me so much love. I discovered a part of me that I never knew existed. We couldn't get enough of each other. We spent one week in Hawaii and two weeks in Paris. He bought me a beautiful diamond ring. Our honeymoon was over and we went back to Nigeria.
Work was as demanding as ever but we still had Time for eachother. It wasn't easy but we still managed. Our marriage was peaceful. Richard was so loving, caring, gentle and loyal. He always made me happy. I also did my best to be a good wife. Although I knew I wasn't a good cook cos I hardly cooked, he never complained about the food. Our life was never boring, we always had one activity or the other.
Five months later, I knew I was pregnant. I was excited to break the news to Richard. "Guess what?" I said to him "oh honey you know I'm not very good at guessing.. just tell me what is it?" I giggled "well... we'll soon have a Richard junior crawling around here. You're gonna be a daddy!" I could see the happiness on his face. He lifted me up and kissed me. He took me out and we celebrated the good news.
*******************************************
4 months pregnant, he asked me to stop going to work. I tried to convince him that I could handle it but he was firm on his decision. He didn't want anything to happen to his baby. I obliged and stopped going to work. He handled everything. Since we were now married, I had changed the ownership of all my companies. The house we lived in was also in his name. I never had second thoughts about it. I was bored at home so I started baby shopping. I bought anything a baby Could want or need, and even things that weren't necessary. Clothes, toys and many other things. Richard was always happy to talk about the baby. Often he would sit close to me, place his hand on my tummy and close his eyes, like he was deep in thought. I could tell the baby was going to be a blessing to us and a glue to strengthen our bond. "You know darling, this is the best thing that'll ever happen to us" he once told me.
6 months pregnant, we were invited to a conference in Kaduna state. Our driver was on vacation so Richard had to drive. The conference went well, Richard was given an award. We were both so happy. On our way back we were discussing the name of the baby. "If it's a girl I want to name her jasmine and if it's a boy, Richard jnr definitely" I said. He smiled "the doctors said it's a boy. Stop hoping for a girl" he punched me playfully. "Ouch that hurt" I said and punched him back. We both laughed.
We didn't see it coming. A trailer derailed from the other lane and was coming straight at us. I screamed "Richard look!" it was too late. There was loud crash. I could feel the car flipping in the air. I couldn't see, I couldn't hear and I couldn't think. My mind was on Richard and my baby. The car did a final flip and landed with a thud on the ground. I couldn't feel my body, I couldn't see or hear anything. Everything went blank.