8

I woke up feeling different in the morning. I turned to the other side of the bed. Richard wasn't there. It looked like he didn't even sleep there at all. I thought about last night. Maybe it wasn't Richard's fault that he was drunk. Maybe that was his own way of letting out depression. I know losing the baby hit us both hard. Maybe I was a bit harsh on him.
I showered, dressed up and went downstairs. The table was all set for breakfast. I went to the living room. Richard wasn't there. "Richard?" I called out. No answer. "Bola!" I shouted the maid's name. "Yes ma"
She appeared behind me. "Good morning ma"
"Good morning. Have you seen Richard?"
"No madam. But I hear noise for guest room. Maybe Na oga dey there"
"Ok you can go now"
"Yes ma" she left. I went to the guest room. I knocked, no answer. I opened the door. Just then, the bathroom door opened and Richard came out with a towel around his waist. he had just showered. He had dark circles around his eyes and he looked sick. He looked at me and sighed. "Baby I'm so sorry about last night. I don't know what came over me. I swear it won't happen again... I.." I ran to him and kissed him before he could finish his sentence. I hugged him tightly. "I'm sorry for the way I reacted. I love you. No matter what happens I'll always love you."
"I love you too honey" he smiled and led me to the bed.
********** ************* *****************
The day went by quickly. Breakfast was memorable. We had picnic at noon in the garden, and he took me out for dinner. It was just like old times. He treated me like a queen. At dinner, I decided to tell him my idea.
"Richard.. I was thinking.. maybe we should go for a vacation. Just take a few weeks off.. it would be nice. What do you think?"
"That's a good idea Ally. Where would you like to go?"
"I dunno... we can decide that together. The point is to just relax and have fun"
"Yeah that's right. Anywhere is fine. As long as I'm with you" he smiled and kissed my hand. I blushed. We left the restaurant and headed home.
On arrival, we met a man arguing with the gateman. "I say make you allow me enter! You no dey hear. I want to see your oga". The man was obviously angry. Richard came down from the car. "What's going on here?" "sir, this man here says he's your relative". I came out too looking confused. I stood beside Richard. The stranger turned. "Heiiii nwam... so the rumours are true!! Even the oyinbo wife!" he placed his hands on his head and grinned widely. He moved towards us and looked at me like he is seeing the sun for the first time. I turned to Richard. "Honey do you know this man?" Richard looked as though he was calculating something. "Uhh.. not at all. Just go inside. I'll take care of this"
"No, I'm staying right here" the stranger looked from me to Richard. "Nwam won't you welcome your uncle? Don't tell me you don't remember me" he laughed. "Sorry, did you just say uncle?" I asked confused.
"Aaahh so Emeka didn't tell you about me?" he smiled and shook his head. "You know.. as soon as people become rich they forget their roots. That is why I'm here. To reattach those roots"
I laughed. "You are mistaken. This is Richard Davies, my husband. He's not Emeka.. and he grew up here in abuja... not some village." I turned to Richard. "Baby tell him"
Richard still had that look on his face. "Look here mister, I'm not Emeka and I don't know you. If you need money just tell me and I'll give it to you. You don't have to lie. Or maybe someone hired you to embarrass me" the stranger smiled and shook his head. "My son I am not here for your money. We have a lot to discuss. I'm sure you can remember me... the last time you saw me was only 15 years ago before you ran away from home" I was shocked beyond expression but Richard kept calm. What is this man saying. Is he mad? Obviously he's talking about another person, not my Richard. It can't be my Richard....