18

We went to bed early anticipating what would happen in the morning. I was sure Blessing would take the offer. She'd be foolish not to because taking the issue to court will cost her a lot and she doesn't have the money to pay. Before we slept I assured Richard that by morning Blessing would be out of our lives for good. I suggested we should start looking for a good school for Richie the next day so he can resume next week Monday. I had a particular school in mind.
The next morning I woke up to the revving of an engine. I thought it was Richard leaving for work, but then I saw him sleeping soundly next to me. I checked the time. It was 6.30AM. Strange. I peeped through the window. I saw an unfamiliar wagon pulling out of the driveway. The car drove away before I could make out the figures in the car. She must have had a change of mind, I thought. Well, good for her and good riddance. I wondered who she called to take her to the airport. I took my robe and went downstairs to confirm that she has left. I met Bola cleaning the dining table.
"Good morning madam" she greeted me.
"Morning. did you see Blessing leaving this morning?" I asked.
"Yes ma. She left just now. She said she left a message for you on the bookshelf" she replied.
That's strange, I thought to myself. Why would she leave me a message? I hurried to find out. I saw a little paper folded into two. I sighed and opened it. It read:
"Don't think this is over, it's not. You will not take away my son from me. I will do anything it takes to get back with Emeka and be with my son. You'll see -Blessing".
Beneath the note was the plane ticket. I was surprised. She thinks she can scare me with her empty threats, she's in for a big surprise. I thought.  I crumpled the note and threw it in the wastebasket. I decided I wouldn't even tell Richard about the note.
I gave Bola instructions to prepare breakfast and I headed upstairs to wake Richard. We showered together and while we were dressing up I brought up Richie's school issue. "Honey I was thinking.. why don't we enroll Richie in Brains academy? It's a nice school and the students look smart. And it's been rated the best school in abuja, the most expensive too...and I believe money speaks for quality. What do you think?" I asked while I was knotting his tie.
"Sounds good. I'll leave it all to you. You're his mother now. I hope Blessing has left though?"
"Yeah... I Saw her leave" I replied uneasily.
"Good. But you look disturbed. What's up?" he asked.
"Oh it's nothing... it's just that she left the plane ticket. I find it strange. Maybe you should confirm if she got to the house you arranged for her" I said to him.
"Okay don't you worry, I'll do that" he replied.
"I'll go to the school with Richie. You go ahead without me. We'll meet you at the office for lunch. I want to get done with the payments and registration so he can start early. I don't want him to be left behind"
"Why don't you let your Personal assistant handle that? I don't want you to be stressed" he said to me as he was buttoning my shirt. I kissed him.
"No darling. I can handle it. I want to do everything myself. Besides, it'll be fun. I'll get to spend time with him" I replied. He shrugged.
"If you insist" I smiled and he hugged me.
I went downstairs to wake Richie. I knocked on his door. When there was no response I let myself in. "Good morning sunshine. I have good news for you" I said full of smiles. Richie (junior) stretched and yawned before he opened his eyes slowly.
"Morning. What's it?" he asked.
"You're gonna be staying with us! Isn't that cool? You're starting school soon" I said to him. I was very excited but he kept a blank expression.
"What about my mum is she staying too?" he asked sadly.
"I'm afraid she can't be staying with us anymore. She has left for Lagos but she'll visit often and I promise to take care of you" I smiled and kissed his forehead.
"She left already? She didn't even say goodbye" he looked sad.
"Don't worry. We'll have so much fun together. Go freshen up and come have breakfast. We have a lot to do today. You can give your mum a call later" I assured him.
I left the room and joined Richard at the table. Richie joined us soon. We tried to involve him in our conversation but he was keeping quiet.
Richard left a while later and we went out too.