29

A week passed without any news about Richie. His school registration deadline was fast approaching. I was at the point of breakdown. The police had no clue, nothing to lead them on.
Blessing was Spotted in Lagos but she couldn't be arrested for questioning because she disappeared once again.
One morning Richie's car was found in an abandoned shack in Suleja. Nobody knew how it got there. The car wasn't damaged, and the keys were in the ignition.
"What if he had decided to run away  leave us?" I thought. I felt really bad and I cried a lot that day. I made his travel arrangements hoping that he'll change his mind and come back home. Meanwhile, Blessing's companion in Lagos was arrested for questioning. He was also clueless about where Blessing was.
Another week passed. We were eating lunch on a Saturday when an unknown number called Richard. He picked. I could only hear one side of the conversation.
"Hello?"
"Yes I'm Richard"
"Yes. What?!" he exclaimed. His eyes were wide with surprise.
"Okay. Okay I'll do that" he replied. He motioned for me to get a pen and paper. Then he put the phone on loudspeaker.
"Listen and listen carefully. Don't involve the police in this else your son is as good as dead." the voice said. I was terrified.
"I won't. Just prove to me that you have him with you and he's alive" Richard replied.
"You will do as I say. I'm the one giving the instructions here. One mistake and your son is dead. Do you understand? Write this address down"
Richard had started sweating. I gave him the pen and paper and sat down.
"Yes I understand" he replied, his voice shaky.
"You will bring 80million naira to the address I gave you, if you ever want to see your son again. You have 4hours. If you dare involve the police I will kill him and if the money is not there after 4hours, he's dead. Come with your wife alone. Are we clear?" the man barked at Richard.
"Y-y-yes" Richard replied.
"Good." the man replied and there was silence, then a muffled voice came on.
"Dad? Please dad help me!" it was Richie. My heart ached at the sound of his voice. I started sobbing.
"Richie I'll get you home I promise" Richard said. The line went dead. Richard came and sat beside me. He hugged me as I kept sobbing hard. I couldn't imagine what kind of torture Richie has been through. I never expected he would be kidnapped. I was sure Blessing was behind it. Or maybe it's just a gang operation by some thugs, I thought. I controlled my sobbing and started thinking of the easiest and fastest way to get 80million naira.
Richard and I decided to do as we were told but first he informed the D.P.O., Mr Markson. He insisted that the police should go with us but we declined because we didn't want to jeopardise the whole operation. Eventually, we agreed that the police would arrive about 10minutes after the exchange so that the culprits would be caught and we wouldn't be in danger. A tracking device was attached to the car, and the bag that was to contain the money.
My financial secretary handled the transaction and the money was ready in a short while. I checked the time as we entered the car. It was 3pm. 2 hours to the deadline. The place we were supposed to meet them was a village in abaji, an area council in abuja. We had to use the GPS. Even though The directions we were given were straightforward. We arrived 10minutes before the deadline. I was so scared. My heart was beating fast.  We said a short prayer before coming down from the car.
The meeting point was an old abandoned warehouse. Richard brought out the duffel bag containing the money. I felt like we were being watched. He dropped the bag in front of the huge door and knocked, as instructed. We waited.
After a short while two hefty man wearing masks came out. One had a gun in hand and was wearing black faded jeans and an oversized T-shirt, and the other was carrying a cutlass and was wearing a blue sleeveless shirt and baggy pants. They looked scary. I moved closer and held Richard as they inspected the money in the bag. After then, they inspected the car. They didn't see the tracking device.
Satisfied, the man holding a cutlass grunted and said "wait here" and he went back inside. The one carrying the gun came closer and pointed the gun at us.
"If you try anything funny I'll shoot you" he said.
"Please. You have the money. Give us our son" Richard pleaded.
"Shut up" the man barked at him.
We stood for a while under the scorching sun before the other man came back. A third man came out dragging Richie behind him. I could barely recognise Richie. He looked so thin. He had a blank expression and he didn't say anything. He looked so pathetic and vulnerable. Tears started flowing from my eyes. I buried my face in Richard's chest and started sobbing. He hugged me and brushed my hair.  They pushed Richie towards us. I moved closer and caught him in my arms. I couldn't stand being in that place a minute longer. I didn't think it would be that easy. Just a simple exchange. Money isn't a problem, we would have paid them much earlier instead of staying in suspense and letting Richie suffer in the hands of these thugs, I thought.
As we turned to leave, the smallest of the trio turned to the other two. "We have been given clear instructions. I suggest you follow the instructions" I overheard him saying. Immediately, I knew something was wrong. I urged Richard to hurry as we headed towards the car, eager to leave the place. Richie was leaning between the two of us.
"Hey! Stop there!" one of the men called out. I froze in place. I heard Richard curse under his breath. "Get in the car fast" he whispered to me.
I moved as fast I could. My hand was shaking as I grabbed the door handle. At that moment I heard a gunshot. I could hear the bullet as it wheezed by. A little more to the left and it would be in my head.
"I said stop or I'll shoot" he shouted at us. We stopped and turned. Blessing was standing there, all smiles. I was shocked. Why is she here? Coincidence? I think not.
Richard spoke before I could say anything.
"How could you do this to your own son! Look at him for God's sake!" he shouted at her. She laughed. "I told you I would do anything to get you back. I can't live without you" she said.
"You're mad. I thought everything was for Richie. I can't be with someone as wicked as you. I love Alison and only death can tear us apart" he said to her. She moved closer.
"Junior has always been a burden. He was just my means of getting back to you, my only connection to you. Take me back and you can have your money back. I just want you" she replied almost sadly. I didn't want to involve myself so I kept quiet. This was between them. Richard shook his head.
"Stay the hell away from me and my family. I can never be with you, not when I have Alison. Allow us to leave in peace" he said to her.
"Well in that case, let's end everything right here. Only death can break you apart? Then so be it" as she said that, the man holding the gun aimed it at me. My heart was racing. Could this woman really mean it? Had she planned this all along? Oh what a wicked heart she has. I doubt she even has a heart, I thought.
I moved forward, away from Richie and Richard.
"Blessing please. Think of what you're doing. It's not worth it. Please let us go" I pleaded with her, hoping to get some sense into her. She siezed the gun from the man's hand. My heart was in my mouth. Richard moved forward too, leaving Richie leaning against the car. Meanwhile, the masked men loaded the money into a van, entered it and started the engine.
"You snatched away my happiness. Goodbye" as she said that, she fired a shot.