6

The hospital room was filled with people the next day so I didn't get a chance to be alone with either Richard or Delilah. Colleagues from work, employees, friends and well wishers all came to see me. I felt so loved. Three days later, I still had not gotten the chance to talk to Richard. It was eating me up inside. The doctor told me I would soon be discharged. I was sort of relieved.
******* ********* ******** ************
On the day that I was to go home, Richard came in with a bouquet of roses in the morning. He was full of smiles. I was glad to see him. He sat down beside the bed and leaned in to kiss my forehead. "Hey beautiful... I can't wait to finally take you home with me... I've missed you so much". I smiled. I was glad that he wasn't mad at me. He seemed to have forgotten all about our last conversation. I decided maybe it wasn't a good idea to bring it up. "I've missed you too baby". I sat up. "So what's up... how's the company faring?" he placed a finger to my lips. "Forget about work for now. Don't even think about it." I smiled.
The door opened and Delilah came in. She still had that pitiful expression on her face and she looked like something was disturbing her. "Hey Ally.. glad to hear you're finally going home." she hugged me and I hugged her back and smiled. "Hi Richard" she said quietly without looking at him. "Hello" he replied stiffly. The curiosity was getting too much for me. "What's going on here?' I wondered. "I brought some clothes for you to change into. The doctor said we can leave in about an hour". I nodded as she handed me a plastic bag. Inside was a blue cotton dress, navy blue jacket and underwear. I excused myself and went to the bathroom/changing room, leaving the door slightly open so I can hear the conversation from the main room. "Richard I'm worried. We have to tell her today. Keeping her in the dark is not helping matters. I feel sorry for her. I feel so guilty" Delilah whispered. "Relax I'll take care of it. Besides, what she doesn't know won't harm her. Letting her know is my problem not yours" he replied confidently. I heard a slight movement and I quickly locked the door. I rested my back on the door. My heart was racing. Tears welled in my eyes. "Could it be? Please God... let it not be what I'm thinking. Richard and Delilah? No... it can't be. Let it not be what I'm thinking." I thought. There was a knock on the door. It startled me. "Ally.. you okay in there? Need help? You've been in there for a while now" it was Delilah. "No I'm fine dear. I'll be right out" I replied. I dressed up quickly and looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was rough. I smoothed it down with my hands. I placed my hands on my belly, where my baby should have been. Remembering him still made me sad. I sighed and looked at myself one more time in the mirror. I looked weak and fragile and sad and depressed. Delilah was waiting for me at the door, with the doctor. "How are you feeling today Mrs Richard?" "I'm fine doctor, I just need to go home". I replied him. I still felt guilty about blaming him for the loss of my baby. "You will soon. Just sign this form". I didn't even read it, I just signed. Eager to get home. Eager to be alone with Richard. Eager to know what he's been hiding from me.
****** ****** ****** ******* ***********
We left a few hours later. Richard was fit enough to drive. His arm was okay. Delilah followed us home. The drive home was filled with awkward silence. I sat at the back while Delilah sat in the passenger's side.
Coming home felt different. I felt like it's been years. Everything was the same. The maid kept the house tidy. Richard was right behind me. I went upstairs to the baby's room. It was surprisingly empty. I left it full of toys and baby stuff. But none of it was there. I turned to Richard confused. "Richard what happened in here?" "I gave out everything because I didn't want it to remind you of what we lost" he replied, holding me. "But what about the next baby?" "Relax, we'll deal with that when it comes" he hugged me. I heard footsteps behind us. It was Delilah. "Oh I didn't mean to interrupt". She said, turning back. Richard released me. "No it's fine". I replied, blushing. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving"
"So soon? Oh Deli.. I appreciate your care and support. When will you be going back to lagos?"
"Actually, I've been transferred to abuja. I'll be here for a while. My apartment isn't far from here" I was surprised but I didn't show it.
"Oh perfect! I'm so happy we'll get to see each other more often. Do stay for dinner please"
She smiled. "I'd love to, but I have a few things I need to do this evening"
"It's alright. I'll tell the driver to drop you off then, I need to freshen up" I replied. "i'll drop her off" Richard said. "Fine then. Thanks for everything Deli,i really appreciate your efforts." she smiled. I left them alone and headed to my room. I sat down on the bed thinking. So Delilah is now living close to us and they didn't even care to mention it. Well, I know what to do. It won't be long before I find out what's really happening. I stood and headed to the bathroom.