16

I walked to the kitchen and made tea. I reviewed what happened in my head. I'm very sure that village hag is behind Richard's behaviour. How did he even know where I was? And how did he know about Tony. He must have gone through my phone, I thought. I called Tony to apologise for Richard's behaviour.
"Oh it's okay. I'm not offended. It wasn't your fault" he said. "And please if that man ever lays his hands on you again you can always run to me. I will make sure he pays for it. You should even sue him for domestic violence"
"Oh no it wasn't his fault either. He was just being a jealous husband. I'm so sorry for his actions"
"It's okay. Do take care of yourself"
"Thanks I will" I replied and hung up. I deleted his number and erased his messages. I didn't want Richard to suspect anything. I would explain everything in the morning. I checked the time. It was 11pm. I decided to go to bed. Just then I heard movement behind me. I turned and saw junior coming out of the 2nd guest room. Even after what his mother did to me I still felt a strong affection towards the boy. "Junior what are you doing awake so late?"
"Nothing. I couldn't sleep" he replied.
"Why? Do you usually have trouble sleeping?" I asked concerned.
"No" he replied. "Well come and sit with me" he came and sat down on the armchair. "Would you like anything? Hot chocolate? Tea? Milk?" I asked him. "No thank you" I decided to use this opportunity to know him better. "Junior how old are you?"
"I'll be 16 in the next 2 months"
"Wow you're almost an adult. No wonder you're so tall" I exclaimed. He blushed. "So would you mind telling me about yourself? I want to get to know you. I have a feeling we are going to be best friends. Don't you think?" he nodded. I smiled. At least he didn't share his mother's hard feelings. "I was in ss1 before my mother dragged me here. I'm a science student. I grew up in Benin city. Mother said we lived there so she could make money to take care of us before dad becomes rich and comes to marry her" I laughed. He looked at me uncertainly. "Go on"
"I attended community primary school, and started my secondary school in government secondary school"
"That's very good junior. I hope you take your studies seriously. What do you want to study in the university?" he was quiet for a while. "Mother said I don't have to go to the university. She said once I finish secondary school I will be a business man"
"Don't mind her. You should follow your dream. What do you want to be in future?"
"I want to be an Engineer" I was warming up to the boy. He was like Richard in so many ways.
"That's very good. Would you like to school here?" before he could answer, his mother came out of the guest room. "Junior!" she barked. "Go to bed now! And you.." she pointed a finger at me "stay away from my son" she slammed the door. "Try and stop me" I thought in my mind. Junior stood up reluctantly and headed towards his room. "Goodnight ma" he called out. "Goodnight Richie" I replied.
I went upstairs. I brushed my teeth, wore my nightie and hopped into bed. Richard was snoring loudly. I switched off the light. I slept off almost immediately. My sleep was peaceful, no nightmares.
Richard must have woken up early because I didn't see him when I woke up. The time was 8.15. He must have gone to the office already. I showered quickly and dressed up. I didn't stop for breakfast. I drove to the office and headed straight to Richard's office. People were muttering as I passed. His office was opposite mine. I knocked and entered the office. He had a newspaper in front of him and he covered his face with his palms. As I moved closer the image on the front page became clearer. It was an image of Richard punching Tony. The caption read 'millionaire husband caught in jealousy Web with hotshot lawyer'. No wonder people were staring and muttering. "Richard I'm so sorry about last night. Tony is just a friend nothing more. You know I can never cheat on you". I moved to where he was sitting and placed my hands on his shoulders. He Didn't say anything. I started massaging his shoulders. "It's all a misunderstanding. I'm so sorry"
"I'm sorry too". He replied. "I shouldn't have hit him and embarrassed us all in public" I kissed his cheek. "It's okay"
"And am sorry for what happened back home with Blessing. I shouldn't have reacted that way. It's just that junior was watching and I didn't want him to think I'm mistreating his mother" I sighed. "But you know I wouldn't slap her for no reason. She provoked me" I said to him. "I understand. I'll talk to her. I'm glad you're getting along with junior" He replied. "What about his school Richard? If don't want him to be left behind"
"Yeah I was thinking he should continue schooling here. We'll look into some private schools"
"Oh that's wonderful. But does that mean they're gonna be staying with us? I mean.... I don't mind having Richie around... but his mother is something else. That reminds me. There's something I need to tell you... she..." before I could finish there was a knock on the door. I quickly stepped away from him and went to the window. His secretary came in. "Sir it's time for your meeting. The Directors are waiting." she said. "Alright. I'll be right there" he replied her. "Honey I'll see you later. I don't want to keep them waiting" he kissed me and left the office. I sighed and headed to my office. It felt good to be back and I couldn't wait to bury myself in work.
*****************************************