24

Things were peaceful for a while. Richie was in ss3, his second term. He was still a good boy, or so I thought. I thought getting him a car would make him careless and reckless but it didn't change him. He was still the same. He had time for studying and time for hanging out with friends and time for hanging out with family. Also, there was no news of Blessing or her whereabouts.
One day I came home early from work because I was feeling tired. Richie was already  back from school. I changed into top and leggings. As I passed Richie's room I perceived a strange smell. I knocked. "Richie I'm home" I said. I tried opening the door but it was locked.
"Hang on mum I'll be right out" he replied from inside. His voice was husky.
"Richie open the door" I heard movement inside. Few minutes later he opened the door.
"Welcome back" he said drowsily. I peeped into the room. It was thick with smoke.
"Where's all this smoke coming from?" I demanded. He kept quiet.
I saw a wrap on his dresser.
"Jesus! Richie were you smoking?" I confronted him. He still kept mute.
"Answer me damn you!" I was getting angry.
"It was just a wrap. I swear it's my first time. I just wanted to try it" he replied in a shaky voice. Calm down. It's not as bad as you think it is, I said to myself. I moved in and opened the windows to let in air. I sat down on his bed. He was still standing by the door with his hands in his pockets.
"Richie come over here and sit down" I said to him and motioned him to sit beside me. He sat down.
"I want you to listen to me and listen carefully. This weed life isn't for you. Whoever is encouraging you doesn't want you to succeed in life. You have a bright future ahead of you. I don't want you to make mistakes. You're old enough to know what's good for you now. Please make wise decisions. I'll let this one go, but next time I won't be so forgiving. I won't even tell your dad. Please Richie continue being the good boy I know you are and face your studies. By next year you'll be in the university. Be good okay?" when I finished he nodded. I asked him to go shower before Richard came home.
He came home just in time for dinner. I cooked basmati rice and cabbage sauce. We ate quietly. After dinner I took Richie out to let him know I've let go of what happened during the day.
We went to the cinema and watched a movie. By the time we got back around 10pm, Richard was already asleep. Richie also went to bed before 11pm. I stayed up late watching television till 1Am.
The next day was Tuesday. There was to be a socialisation meeting at Richie's school for Teachers and parents by 12pm. It went well. I met Richie's class teacher. She complained to me that Richie was losing concentration in class.
"What do you mean by that?" I asked.
"I mean he's fond of distracting the class when lessons are going on and he skips classes sometimes. You should talk to him so that it won't affect his performance in the upcoming SAT exams." she replied.
"Thanks for telling me. I'll talk to him" I was surprised at what she told me.
When I went home I scolded him but I still didn't tell his dad. His dad never asked how he was faring in school. Richie promised me he would work hard. I couldn't understand why he was changing so suddenly. I had a long talk with him, trying to talk sense into his head but I barely got a response. I hoped it had gotten to him.
The following week they were given brochures in school for various universities across the globe. We sat down and discussed over dinner. Finally, we decided he should apply for University of southern california where I graduated from. It was very expensive but we could afford it and I wanted the best for him.
His SAT's came up the following month. He studied hard in order to pass well. I was so proud of him. We started preparation for his graduation dinner/prom. I asked him who he was taking to prom. I didn't get the reply I was expecting.
"I'm not going to prom" he said.
"What? Why? You must be joking" I laughed.
"No I'm serious. I intended to go with Nana as my date but she's not going. She has to travel to Lagos for a scholarship exam. Her parents can't afford to send her abroad so the scholarship is her only chance." he said. I felt bad for her.
"Well in that case, you can go to the prom then when she's done with the exam we'll throw you a house party. It'll be cool. Just you and your friends" I told him.
"Oh wow cool. Alright then. Thanks mum" he hugged me. I smiled and kissed his forehead.