17

It was a very busy day. I barely saw Richard for the whole day. I left the office before him because I was tired. I went home around 5pm. When I got home Blessing and Junior  were not at home. I wondered where they went. I decided to use the opportunity to investigate what was happening. I already had lunch at the office. I went upstairs and changed into a T-shirt and bum shorts.
I went to the guest room where blessing was staying. It was neat and tidy. Her box stood at one corner and her toiletries were on the dressing mirror. I checked the drawers, they were empty but when I checked the wardrobe I saw some of my clothes. I didn't even notice they were gone. There were 3 dresses, tank tops and 2 leggings. I wondered why she would take my clothes. I kept snooping around but I found nothing suspicious. The only thing out of place were my clothes. I left the room and went to the kitchen. Bola was cleaning. She greeted me when she saw me. I answered her and picked a drink from the fridge. I sat down on a stool. "Bola where is Blessing?"
"She went out"
"Since when?" I asked curious.
"Since in the afternoon.". She answered.
"What about junior?"
"He's sleeping" I nodded.
"Bola. What did Blessing give you to put in my food yesterday?" She was quiet for a while. "She didn't give me anything"
"Don't lie to me. I overheard the two of you"
"I swear madam she was pretending. She didn't give me anything. She is just playing with your head" I shook my head. So she was playing games with me. Well, I still can't be completely sure Richard and I aren't being poisoned. I'll have to be very careful, I thought to myself. I went to the living room and sat down to watch TV. I decided to call Delilah. We chatted a bit and I told her what happened the previous day. She advised me not to make any rash decisions. She also told me to be patient. I listened to her and thanked her. Junior came out of his room and joined me. We had little talk about the show that was on TV.
Richard came back a while later. Blessing still wasn't back. I suggested that we should all go out for dinner  and a movie. We went out around 7pm. Junior was excited. Just outside the gate, we saw blessing and a stranger making out, leaning against the man's car. I was disappointed at her behaviour. I turned to see Junior's reaction. His expression was blank. Maybe he was used to seeing it. Richard frowned and parked the car. "Richard why are we stopping?"I asked. "I will not tolerate this immoral behaviour. Not in the presence of my son"
"Richard what she does is non of your business. She is an adult and she is aware of all her actions. She's not your responsibility. Let her be." he sighed and started the engine. I noticed she was wearing my clothes. I shook my head as we left the scene. We had a fun evening. I bought Richard some clothes, video games and a smartphone. He was so happy. The movie was nice and we had a fun dinner. I felt like he was really my son. I hadn't been as happy as that in days. Richard and I made a decision on our way back. Richie was still thanking me when we went home. Blessing was in the living room. Richie was so excited. "Mum guess what! I have a phone now! Look!" Richard and I looked at each other and smiled.
"Oh that's good. Did you say thank you to your father?" she smiled and looked at Richard.
"Alison bought everything for me" he said beaming.
"Oh... I see.. thank you Alison" she said without looking at me. I was surprised she actually thanked me. Maybe she has had a change of mind, I thought. Richie went to his room to drop the things I bought for him.
We sat down. "Blessing we need to talk" Richard said. "I'm listening" she replied. "I think it's time for you to leave. I have secured a flat for you in Lagos. I have also set up a business for you. Junior will no longer be your responsibility. He will stay with me. However, you can come and see him once in a while. I have also made arrangements for you to go back to school if you wish to do so. I have opened an account for you and I will keep depositing money for your upkeep. I can't fulfil my promise to marry you because I'm perfectly happy with Alison as my wife. You will no longer bear the burden of raising my son. You will leave for Lagos tomorrow morning. Your flight is by 8am. I'm sorry for any conveniences I might have caused in your life. I would also like you to make amends with my wife. She means you no harm." when he finished she didn't say anything. She just kept staring at the TV. I looked at Richard. He was looking at Blessing. "Do you understand what I've just said?" he asked her. She looked at him and laughed. "If I am to leave here, I'm leaving with Junior. I raised him for 16 years. I am not leaving without him. Especially not with this oyinbo witch"
Richard was provoked. "How dare you! You claimed junior was a burden to you and now I'm relieving you of his responsibility, you're telling me nonsense. He is my son. I have every right to prevent you from ever seeing him again. Respect yourself and take my offer". I sat there looking at them. I didn't want to interfere but I had to. "Blessing it's for your benefit. Both you and Junior. I promise you I'll take care of him and treat him like my own son. Please just accept this offer. We don't want to take the issue to court but if you don't we might be forced to. Please make it easier for us. I beg you." when I finished she looked at me. "Oh I see.. it has been your plan from the beginning. To separate me from my son just like you snatched his father from me. Your plan will not work you evil woman. I am not leaving without my son" she hissed and left the sitting room. Richard and I looked at each other in surprise. This wasn't the reaction we were expecting. We thought she would jump at the offer. But that wasn't the case.