25

Richie's graduation was 3 days away. I was busy with preparations. Meanwhile, Richard had travelled to Ghana for a business trip. I was in the office during my lunch break when I got a call from the Company's General manager in Lagos.
"Good morning mrs Richard" he greeted.
"Good morning Mr Francis. Hope all is well?" I asked because it was odd for him to call me directly.
"I'm afraid not ma'am. You should switch on the news channel. The Office in Victoria island caught fire last night. Nobody knows the source of the fire. The police are still investigating. All the files have been burnt down to ashes. We've lost a lot of documents. We don't know who got them out of the fire-proof cabinets. Mrs Richard are you still with me?"
I was dumbfounded. Words failed me. The office in Victoria Island was the biggest and it had the highest investment and profit. I couldn't begin to imagine how much would be lost and what that would mean in the present unstable economy. And the worst part, it wasn't insured.
"Hello?" he said again.
"Mr Francis I hope nobody is hurt?" I asked.
"No ma, but 1 body was found. The security guard that was on patrol. He would have seen what started the fire. The police suspect he brought out those files and maybe set the place on fire. He is burnt almost  beyond recognition. His family demand compensation" he replied.
"Alright, talk to the financial secretary. I'll be in Lagos by tomorrow" I said and hung up.
I started feeling dizzy. I called Richard and told him what happened. He was shocked too. When I left the office I asked my secretary to book a flight to Lagos. The fire accident was all over the news.
When I went home Richard was with Nana playing scrabble. I told him what happened and that I needed to travel. I was contemplating leaving him alone since Richard was not back yet.
My flight was 8.30 the next morning. Before I left I told Richie to be good.
"No parties while I'm away okay?" I said to him. He laughed.
"Ofcourse mum. have a safe flight" he replied. I was still unsure of leaving him to the care of our workers. I thought of asking Delilah to stay with him before I came back. I was only going away for a day. I told Richie but he wasn't happy. He assured me he'll be responsible and he'll be alright.
I arrived in Lagos amidst the aftermath of the fire incident. I didn't know it was that serious. The building was barely recognisable. I went to visit the victim's family. Compensation of 3 million naira had been paid already. The police were still investigating the cause of the fire.
I had a lot of supervision to do which would take me atleast 3 days. I was gonna miss Richie's graduation dinner. I wasn't happy about it. Richard called me to ask about how things were going.
"Everything is a mess. There's a lot to do. I can't leave Lagos till Monday and Richie's graduation dinner is Saturday." I told him how stressed I was already.
"Don't worry. I'll fly straight to Lagos from Ghana on Friday. I'll take over and you can go back to Abuja in time for Richie's graduation dinner. Is that okay?" he asked.
"No honey. Maybe you should be with him at the graduation dinner instead. I'll see if I can round up by Friday." I replied.
"As you wish. While you're there... why don't you check on Blessing? Ask if she's coming for the graduation dinner. She should be there. He's her son" he said. I kept quiet for a while. It won't be an easy task, I thought to myself.

"Text me the address. I'll send someone if I can't make it" I replied. When we finished talking I called Richie to make sure he was alright. He didn't seem to mind that I would miss his graduation.
"It's okay mum. I understand" he said to me. I was relieved.
Richard texted me Blessing's address. I picked a few things for her at the mall so as not to go empty handed. I was having mixed feelings about going to see her. When I reached the flat I knocked. A tall fat man in a tight shirt with bald head opened the door.
"Yes? How may I help you?" he enquired. I must be in the wrong house, I thought to myself. I checked the flat number again to confirm. It was the right number.
"Uhmm good afternoon I'm here to see miss Blessing. I was told she lives here" I smiled as I told him. He spent a long time looking at me before he moved aside.
"Come inside. I'll call her" he replied.
I went in uncertainly. The flat was nice and neat. Richard sure has a good taste in furniture, I thought as I sank into the soft plushy sofa.
I looked around. There were no frames or photographs on the wall, unlike my house which was covered in pictures and art.
The man went inside what should be the kitchen. I kept the basket of cookies and stuff I brought with me on the side stool and waited. Shortly after, he came out followed by Blessing. She looked fresh and relaxed. And she had added weight.
Money is really a miracle worker, I thought. When she came I stood up.
"Good afternoon Blessing" I greeted her. To my surprise she actually smiled.
"Good afternoon. To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" she asked smiling. I tried to mask my surprise because I was sure my mouth was gaping wide open.
"Oh please do sit down. Make yourself at home" she said again gesturing to the chair behind me. I swallowed and sat. She was still smiling. It was starting to freak me out. She had changed completely and it was scaring me.
"Thanks. I came by to see how you're doing. And to invite you to Rich--- I mean Junior's Graduation dinner. It's on Saturday." I watched her reaction.
"Oh great. My little boy is now graduating. And how nice of you to think of inviting me" she smiled again and looked straight into my eyes. I shifted in my seat.
"Er--- well... You're his mother Afterall. You should be there" I replied in a low voice. She laughed.
"Indeed. Oh forgive my manners. Obi please get her something to drink" she said to the man I met at the door.
"Oh please don't bother. I should be on my way" I said quickly. Who knows what she would put in the drink, I thought.
She looked at me with a bemused expression, like she was studying me. I was becoming uncomfortable. I decided I would leave before things get more awkward. I was just about to leave when she smiled and said:
"I'm back in school now by the way."
I was trying hard not to be rude.
"Oh that's very nice. I really should be leaving now" I said to her.
"Oh why the hurry? By the way I heard about the fire incident. Makes you wonder who would hate you that much, to set your money-making machine ablaze huh?" I started to sweat. What is she insinuating? I faked a smile.
"It was an accident actually. Faulty electronic" I replied calmly. She laughed.
"Was it now? And the victim... I do hope his family won't press charges" she picked at her nails.
"He used to be a friend of mine you know. But he died for a good cause,i would say" she looked at me and laughed. "What is it mrs smart? Cat ate your tongue?" she said.
"What do you mean by all this?" I asked.
"I told you it's not over yet, didn't I? Infact it has just begun" she replied and smiled wickedly.
My mouth suddenly went dry. Many thoughts were coming to my head. I didn't want to believe what my mind was telling me. I picked up my purse and stood up.
"Thanks for the hospitality" I said dryly as I made for the door. I didn't look back to see her reaction.
"See you at the graduation dinner---- or not!" she called after me as I entered the car. I could still hear her laugh as I told the driver to step on the gas.