Chapter 4: Explanations

Claire stood up as fast as she could. She rinsed off quickly and got dressed. She wore a long sleeve shirt with a scarf and long pants so all of her bruises would be covered. She heard Phil yell "Honey, I'm home!" When he said that chills when down Claire's spine. She didn't know how she was going to lie to him, but the only thing worse she could think of was telling him the truth.

She slowly shamefully walked down the stairs to her husband. She did her best to smile then said almost at a whisper "Hi Honey." Phil had a weird look on his face. Claire didn't think he bought the smile. A billion things were going through her mind. She felt that he knew what happened just by looking at her. She was to panicked. If he figured it out her children............ She couldn't finish that thought, to much sadness filled her heart. She almost cried just thinking it. Claire was snapped back to reality when her husband suspiciously said "Hi." He pause while looking into her eyes. He could always tell when something was wrong, and something was defiantly wrong. Phil knew better then to ask about it when her girls were right there. She seemed somehow different. He could not put his finger on it, but he was a little afraid. He did not like seeing his wife upset and this seemed worse.

For the rest of the night things were semi normal. Everyone noticed that Claire was different. Her children just assumed she was mad at them for something like grades or not doing chores. Wow, were they wrong. The children made their hypothesis' based on the fact that Claire was barley talking all night. In reality she keep having flashbacks. She saw his face in everything she looked at, smelled his breath the whole night, every time someone or something touched her she was reminded of his cold uninvited hands all over her body, but worst of all every time she looked at her children she was reminded of the danger they were in.

Finally Claire had enough and went to bed at 8. Everyone was watching TV together like they do at the end of everyday. After Claire left everyone looked at each other. Hayley put down her phone and Alex closed her book. Alex said in a conserved voice "What the hell is wrong with mom?" "Maybe she is mad at us" Luke guessed. "Ill find out" said Phil. He left the room and went upstairs by himself. He walked right into their room and saw something he was not supposed to see.