Chapter 18: New Rules

There was an unspoken rule in the Dunfey house. Everyone knew it but it was very rarely brought up. Claire had a job. She had to do it or the family would fall apart but that's not why she did it. Whenever someone was hurt she always picked up the pieces. She helped her children and husband deal with many things. She advised them when they didn't know what to do. She stopped them from making bad choices. Claire always knew what to do. But no who was going to pick up the pieces for her.

Claire was in her hospital bed with the whole family joking around. Basically the family was making jokes and Claire was pretending to not be in pain and to be having fun. she was getting pretty good at it. She couldn't be vulnerable for her family to see. Claire's family thought that she was strong she was not about to let that change. A nurse walked into the room and announced "Phil, you can sign the discharge papers." The nurse then turned to Claire. "Then you can get out of here." Phil and the nurse walked out together. One by one everyone said bye to Claire and left. She was alone. Claire had been waiting all day for this. As she sat there she began to cry. She was holding that back all day. She just wanted to scream and cry. Why did this happen to her?!? What did she ever do to deserve this?!? Will he hurt me again?!? Will the police find him?!?

Dr. Drake came into the room. "Are you ok Claire?" she asked. "I'm fine" Claire lied while wiping up her tears. "I heard you were leaving so I wanted to say bye and to give you this." Dr. Drake said handing her a business card. "I cannot tell you what to do but it would be wise to go to consuling. You have been through a horrible ordeal and it will help." "Thanks" Claire said taking the card with no intention of going. Claire got up and Dr. Drake wheeled her a wheel chair. Claire refused. She thought it made her look weak. She took the cloths Phil brought her and changed. When she was done she walked out with Phil pretending nothing had happened.

The ride home was silent. The whole time Claire was having flashbacks. Phil was scared. He was scared for his wife. Even though she was acting like everything was ok, Phil knew she wasn't. When they got home it was around nine. Claire went right to bed. She didn't want to deal with her family and she wanted to be asleep before Phil went to bed. That's exactly what happened.

The next morning Claire got up at her usual time. She made breakfast for her family. She got dressed put on make up which covered most of her scars. When the children got up the eat there breakfast. Phil is the only one who didn't buy Claire's act. He knew something was wrong. As much as Claire was trying to ignore it she needed help. She drove the kids to school just like any other day. When she got home Phil already left for work. She had the house to her self. She went up stairs to take a shower. She felt so dirty and desperately needed to feel clean again. That's all Claire wanted. She got in the shower and sat down. She didn't want to stand up because she felt exposed. So she sat with her legs up to her chest. She let the water fall on her as she violently scrubbed herself with tons of soap. The scrubbing did nothing. She still felt so dirty. Claire didn't think she could ever feel clean again. Claire didn't notice but water was not the only thing falling on her. Her tears were too. She sat in that shower for two hours crying and scrubbing.