Chapter 10: Decisions

Phil saw Claire. He knew she was covered in bruises physically and emotionally. With this information he knew he needed to take her to the hospital to get a rape kit so they can catch the bastard. If only it were that simple. He did this just because she told him what would happen if she told the police!

"We need to go to the police," Phil whispered figuring this out as he said it. "NO! I don't care about me. I can handle it! I don't want our kids to go through hell for me! I, we will take care of them by not going to the police." Claire pronounced. "Now help me get to the shower so I can get clean again." Claire felt so dirty. It was making her go crazy, no matter how hard she scrubbed she would not come clean. "No" Phil stated. It was a simple statement. It's funny how a simple statement can cause such pain. After a pause of angry silence Phil continued, "If you take a shower all of the evidence will be gone. It will be harder to catch the bastard. I know your going to hate me for this but I hope one day you'll understand why I have to." Then Phil reached in his pocket and grabbed his phone. "No!" Claire begged, "You cannot! He will hurt our kids!" Phil grabbed Claire's arms and shook her, "We need to do this. He will just hurt you again. We need to stop him. We cannot trust him! Just because he says he won't hurt the kids, doesn't mean he won't!" Claire started to cry, she knew she should turn him in but would that really be what's best for her children. Would that keep them safe? Would it cause more harm? She didn't know what to do, lucky her husband did.