Chapter 8: Questions

Days later with nothing said about Claire's rape since the previous discussion in the bathroom.

I wanted the truth. I thought I could handle it. Everyone says that all they want is the truth, but is that really true. I know I needed to find out but why does the truth have to be so ugly. Phil thought. Phil had a million questions for Claire and she was finally ready to answer them.

"We have not had a chance to talk, Phil." Claire said, "You must have questions. I am ready to answer them now." "Who?" was all Phil said. "I don't know." Claire said feeling more ashamed then ever before. "I thought you were going to answer me" Phil said in a bitchy voice. "I am asshole. I don't know him. He took me from the grocery store and drove me somewhere and then he just..............just......... rraped me!" Claire yelled back. "I'm sorry," Phil said and he ment it. He felt like an idiot but he just wants his wife to be straight with him. In a few minutes of silence Phil worked up the courage to ask her if she had any other bruises. "Just about everywhere on my body." Claire simply stated. She acted as if it was nothing. On the inside she was freaking out. Phil was taken back by her tone. She spoke in a no-it-all tone and acted like it was nothing. Phil wondered Does she even care? What the hell did this man do to her? Phil knew this was not his Claire.

Phil wants more answers but he did not want to push Claire. He does not want to upset her. Phil was hoping to get as much information as possible. His goal was to get her to tell the police. Right now that seemed like the last thing that was going to happen.

That evening right after Phil and Claire went to bed, Phil made his move. "We need to talk about this." "Didn't we already" Claire said in an extremely sassy voice. "We need to really talk." Phil explained. "and lose the attitude I am trying to help you." Claire whispered "I'm sorry. I just.....i just...... don't like talking or thinking about it. I shouldn't have told you. He threatened our children! our babies are in danger because of me." She began to sob and Phil held her tight. After a while Claire was finally finished crying. "Ok it's time," she stated, "What do you want to know." "Earlier you said you had bruises everywhere. Are you sure that you are not seriously hurt?" Phil asked with much concern. "No I'm fine" Claire whispered. she didn't like talking loud. The man talked loud. She refuses to do things the man did. "Are you sure that you don't want to tell the police?" Phil hopeful asked. "NO, YOU KNOW WHATS AT STAKE HERE!" Claire forcefully said. The rest of the night was silent. Phil went to sleep and Claire lied awake. She tried not to think about the man but no matter how hard she tried she saw him everywhere.