12 THE DAY AFTER

Marco Gray

    "Hey momma can I stay at Jack and Lina's?" I ask my mom double checking that it's okay.

    "That's fine. As long as your going to school. And showering." She says and waves her hand dismissively. I nod and go grab a bag. I hop on my bike and ride it over. I knock on the door and Lina opens it slightly. She sees me and opens the door.

    "Come in." She says and I walk in before she closes the door. She looks at me and jumps at me. I catch her and she sighs.

    "Your back." She whispers in my ear and I nod.

    "Should I not be? I mean I can leave." I say and she immediately shakes her head.

     "Please no." She whispers.

     "Lina! Who was at the door? I told you.." Jack says and comes around the corner trailing off.

     "Never mind." He says and Lina let's me go before I set her back on her feet.

     "Sorry Jackie. I saw Marrco on his bike." She says and he nods at me. A sign of acknowledgement. I return the gesture and Lina looks at me.

     "Are you staying again?" Lina looks at me and I look at Jack. He nods and looks at Lina watching as she bounces on her toes. I look at Lina and nod.

     "Yeah. Yeah I am if that's okay with you." I say and she smiles. She walks to her room and closes the door. I follow Jack to the living room.

     "Did.. Is he still around?" I ask and Jack nods.

     "Yeah I think he wants to get close to Lina." He says and I nod.

     "Stay with her. Please. You make her happy. You make her feel safe. Just for right now at least. I mean she can fight but she's small. Evan would use that against her." He says and I nod.

     "Of course. Of course no problem." I say and he nods.

     "Thank you. She is the only family I have left." He says and I look down.

     "I'm sorry for your loss. Lina told me last night. I'm so sorry. But I also realize you probably don't want to talk about it." I hear water turn on and music play. I stand and listen closely before I hear her sing.

    "She sings in the shower?" I ask as I listen to her. Jack jumps up and all but runs over to the bathroom. I walk over and sure enough she is singing.

     "She hasn't done that in almost 2 years." He whispers to me. His smile is so big I think he's gonna break his face.

     "Dude are you okay?" I ask when I see him cry.

     "I'm great. I'm better then great. I'm fantastic. Thank you very much." He says and hugs me. I hug him back slowly.

     "Yea. Okay." I say slightly unsure what to do here. We stand and listen to her sing four different songs before the water shuts off.

     "Oh sh*t." I curse under my breath and pull Jack away from the door. Disappearing as I hear the door open. I glance around the corner and she walks out of the bathroom. She walks into her room and closes the door. I hear her sing to herself. And Jack smiles.

     "She's happy. And feels safe. You did that." He says and he listens to her sing. She comes out of her room humming and undoes the towel on her hair. She dries her hair and almost drops the towel. She looks at me then at Jack.

    "What happened? Why are you crying?" She says and Jack looks at her stands up and steps over to her before he wraps his arms around her. She hugs him back still confused. He steps back and let's her go.

   "Nothing happened. I'm perfectly fine." He says and kisses her forehead.

   "Yeah okay. How about a movie?" She says and Jack smiles.

    "Whatever you want." He says and I nod. She smiles but looks slightly unsure of herself.

    "Okay. I'll go pick one. Ooh! Jackie you should make some popcorn!" She says as she disappears into Jack's room. Jack laughs and walks to the kitchen.

    "She's really happy." He says as he does popcorn.

    "Maybe she'll be happy again. Like really happy." He says and then looks at me.

    "Do you like her? Like.. Actually like her?" He says and I nod.

    "Yes. I do. She's got me going crazy to be honest. I can't seem to keep her out of my head. I haven't even known her that long but I can see a life with her." He smiles and then I hear Lina's voice.

    "Found a movie!" She yells and comes around the corner.

    "Popcorn done yet?" She asks and looks at me then at Jack. I nod as I hear the microwave go off.

    "Yeah ready to watch a movie?" I ask. She immediately smiles.

    "Yeah!" She says and holds up a movie.

    "Again?" Jack says and her face falls I roll my eyes at him.

   "That's my favorite movie." I say as I smile at her. And follow her back into the living room. She puts it in as I sit on the sofa. She turns to me and I pat my leg. Her face turns pink as she walks over.  She sits next to me and I grab her before pulling her into my lap.

    "Here. Sit here." I whisper in her ear. She moves and lays against my chest again. Jack comes in and turns the lights off as he comes over. He sits down and the movie starts. Halfway through the movie my angel falls asleep. I watch the movie and when it's over Jack looks at my angel.

    "She likes having you here. I think she took a liking to you when you wanted that rematch. Hard headed. Like her." He says looking at her. I look at her and move her hair a bit before she stirs I freeze and she buries her face in the crock of my neck. Jack gets up and walks into the hall. When he comes back he has a blanket. He puts it over Lina mostly and she moves again. This time grabbing my shirt.

    "How about another movie?" Jack asks and I look at him before I nod.

     "Yeah sure. You pick." I say and he disappears into his room and then comes back with a movie before he puts it in and sits again. Sometime during the movie I feel myself falling asleep. And then I fall asleep with my angel in my arms for the second time.