18 THEY'RE COMING BACK

Marco Gray

     'Evan said his parents are moving back.' I read the text over again hoping and praying I'm reading it wrong. But there the words are black against the bright screen. My angel is still asleep but my phone wouldn't stop buzzing.

    'Tell me you are kidding. Tell me this is some sick joke.' I text back and my phone buzzes.

    'No.' Those two little letters are two I was hoping not to see. Angel moves and I look down at her. She wiggles before burying her face in my neck more. I put my phone face down and wrap both arms around her. She groans and pushes me. I let her go slightly but hold her so she doesn't fall off my bed. She folds her arms against her chest and I pull her back to me.

    "Marco?" She says her voice thick with sleep and I can't help but smile when I hear it.

     "Yes my angel?" I whisper quietly kissing her head.

     "What time is it?" She whispers and I look at my phone again.

      "6:13" I tell her and she sighs. She buries her face again. My alarm goes off two minutes later.

      "Time to get up love." I say and she says okay however she buries herself more under the blanket and closer to me.

      "Okay five more minutes." I whisper and she pushes me over so I'm laying on my back and she's straddling me before she lays her head on my chest. I fold my arms under my head and close my eyes. I somewhat hear my door open but don't acknowledge it. I hear the door close and wrap on of my arms around my angel pulling her closer. When I wake up again and look at my phone it's 11:27. I lay my angel on my bed and get up. I walk out of my room and into the kitchen. My mom stands looking out the window that looks over the back yard with a cup of coffee in one hand and the other on her still flat belly.

    "Momma?" I question and she looks at me.

     "Lina still sleeping?" She asks and I nod.

     "Yeah how come no one woke us up?" I ask which causes her to turn and look at me before she shrugs.

     "Jack made it an obvious thing that he didn't wake her when she was sleeping so I didn't want to wake her and I didn't wake you so you wouldn't wake her." She says and I nod.

    "How do you feel?" I ask which causes her to smile and place her hand on her belly again.

    "Happy. She easy unlike you and your brother." She says and Antonio comes in the front door.

     "Hey Marrco! I have to ask you something." He says and I look at him.

     "What's up?" I ask and he looks at my mom.

     "How would you like to be her godfather? I know usually it's someone else but I want you to be her godfather." He says and I nod.

     "Yes of course. I'd be honored to." I say immediately my mom smiles and I hug Antonio before I hug my mom and bend down to her belly.

     "You are going to be so spoiled by your godparents." I whisper to her belly and I know my mom rolled her eyes. They both nod at me as I walk back to check on my angel. She stretches still laying down and I look at her.

     "Hello babygirl." I say as I walk to my bed. She smiles at me as I sit down.

     "What time is it?" She asks and grabs my phone.

      "Oh crap! Why didn't you wake me? This is the first day I've ever missed!" She says and I feel my eyebrows crease.

      "I tried love you didn't want to get up and then I fell asleep again. Sorry baby." She frowns and I look at her.

      "I'm hungry." She says and sits up before stretching her arms over her head.

     "Get dressed and we can go out to eat. Mom doesn't care that we aren't at school." I say and she nods before walking to the bathroom. She closed the door and I hear the shower turn on. She gets out and gets ready then we leave.

   "Can we go to the Grill?" She asks a sparkle in her eye that I can't refuse. I nod and she smiles. We go and sit down before an older lady comes over.

   "Hello dears. What can I... Lina?" The lady says and my angel jumps up and hugs her.

   "Grandma Beth! I'm so sorry I haven't came in a long time. I couldn't bring myself to come.

    "Oh honey it's okay. I don't blame you.. We all miss them honey. How have you been? Where's Jack and how is he? Wait shouldn't you be in school? How old are you now little Lina? Who is this Lina?" The lady says asking like five questions.

    "I've been better. Evan came back. I've haven't talked to him for almost seven months. Jack went to school and he's mad about Evan. I should be in school I'm 17 a junior. But we get out soon. And this is my boyfriend Marrco." Lina says answering all the lady's questions.

    "Marrco. This is Grandma Beth!" My angel says looking at me. I stand and hold my hand for the Ms. Beth to shake but she hugs me.

    "Please to met you Ms. Beth." I day and hug her back.

    "Everyone calls me Grandma Beth." She says and I nod.

   "Grandma Beth worked with my mom and dad. She is a... What the f*ck are they doing back?" She says and I look to where a couple ate walking.

    "Angel?" I question quietly and she looks at me. Her phone chimes and she grabs it.

    "Marrco. Evan goes to our school. His parents are back. Marrco they're back." She whispers her voice sounding like she's defeated.

    "Who's back angel? They can't hurt you." I say and she sits at the table again. Grandma Beth nudges me and nods towards the couple as the walk into the restaurant. Evan's parents I realize.

    "It's okay angel. We can leave?" I say and pull her into my arms.

    "I'm hungry though." She mumbles and Grandma Beth walks away. The couple walk over and my angel hides her face. They awe and sit down two tables away. Grandma Beth comes back with a bag.

    "Here honey. I put Jack's favorite." She says and Lina let's me go and hugs Grandma Beth.

    "Eve?" A female voice says and Lina stiffens.

    "Thanks Grandma. I'll come back to see you later with Jack." My angel says and takes the bag before grabbing my hand and pulling me out.

     "Evangelina wait!" The voice from earlier says and she walks faster.