Chapter 10

It took a few minutes to figure a way to squeeze out of the tiny window, but we managed.

The asylum was surrounded by deep woods that would go on for miles in every direction. The trees were tall and thick, providing a sense of protection. It was like they would guard you from any dangers that came for you, but the problem was, the dangers were in my head. Even more dangerous things were in the very building that was being guarded. The woods held safety and the unknown, two things that I was unaccustomed to, but would love to embrace.

"C'mon slow poke! I would have thought with how long your legs are that you might actually be able to move a bit quicker." I teased. The boy's legs went on for-fucking-ever.

"Hardy har har. I'm coming. Quick question though, aren't we going to get caught? Like, haven't patients done this kind of thing before?" He asked from beside me.

"Well, there is a possibility, but I'm willing to take it. I'm the only one who has done this actually. Most of the patients try to run past the attendants and go out the front doors. Everyone can't be as smart as me."

The sun was peeking out from around the clouds that speckled the sky. I light breeze came from behind, flinging my hair in my face. I started sputtering and spitting like crazy trying to get the hair out of my mouth. I had to look like a complete idiot flinging my hands all over my face trying to get rid of the hair.

Harry laughed and laughed at my failed attempts at keeping the hair out of my face.

"You are just lucky that your hair isn't long enough to do this." I grumbled.

We walked until we got to the edge of the woods, Harry looked uneasy about the whole thing, but didn't try to back out. I grabbed his arm and led him to my usual path.

My first time here, I broke all the branches that poked out, kicked any rocks that were in the way to the side, and cleared the walk way a bit better. The whole walk, Harry didn't once ask if there was a certain place in mind, if I knew where I was going, nothing. It's like he trusted me to not take him to a remote location and slit his throat.

As fun as that sounds, today wasn't the day.

I grinned excitedly as I saw more light just up ahead, and I knew that we were nearing the clearing. I picked up my pace unconsciously as butterflies erupted in the pit of my stomach. It had been so long since I had been to the clearing last, so I wondered what kind of condition it was in.

Once we stepped into the clearing, I glanced up at Harry's face to see what kind of reaction he would have to my safe place. His eyes were wide and glowing, and his mouth slightly agape. He looked in awe.

"Isn't it perfect?" I squealed.

The one thing that made me a bit wary was the fact that this was MY safe place. MY place to run to when things got tough. MY refuge. I was now sharing it with him. Fact about me: I don't share things. Ever.

"Wow. How?" He breathed looking around.

*********************

When I first stumbled upon this clearing, it was beautiful. Little, bright flowers sprung up from the dirt, giving the clearing an uplifting feeling. A bit hopeful. I walked along the edges of it, taking the breathtaking view in. It was then that I found the swings. There were two wooden swings side by side hanging from a thick tree branch. I frowned at the old ropes that connected the swings to the branch, doubting their ability to hold my weight in their weakened condition.

But curiosity got the better of me and I planted my butt on the wood. I kicked my legs forward hesitantly, trying to get a rhythm. After a few minutes of baby swinging, I kicked it up a notch. I swung so high and felt so free. My hair would billow around me as a genuine smile lit up my face. A giggle passed my lips, and then transformed into laughter that stung my sides and caused tears to fall down my cheeks.