Father

I woke up in Jeffrey's bed alone, I looked over to see the bathroom light on.

I laid there for second or two to hear Jeff throwing up violently.

"Babe?" I called out, standing up and slipping on the silk robe.

He didn't answer, instead he continued gasping and throwing up.

I walked over to the bathroom door and knocked firmly "Jeff?" I opened the door to see him hunched over and throwing up into the toilet.

He leaned up against the wall, I took in what he looked like, he was pale and completely drained of his color.

"Are you okay?" I questioned worried.

He shrugs "I think so.. just a little under the weather"

I help him up, we stand at the sink, he fills his hands up with water and begins splashing his face. I snake my arms around his arms behind him, placing my head on his back.

He starts brushing his teeth, which was good because there was no way in hell I was going to kiss him with that breath.

After a minute or two he gets done brushing his teeth, I peek my head over his broad shoulders, standing on my tip toes we make eye contact.

"I think it's just nerves.." he starts, smiling slightly at me.

I nodded "could be-" i was interrupted by a knock on Jeffrey's bedroom door.

I let him go as he goes to answer the knock. I stand there and look at myself in the mirror figuring I could go ahead and brush my teeth too with the spare toothbrush Jeff had stored.

"Jeffrey, the hospital called" his mothers small fragile voice spoke.

I froze what I was doing and listened more intently.

"He's.. he's not going to make it" she cried out.

My heart broke to a thousand little pieces just hearing that news. It was like Jeffrey could never get a real break, life always screwed him in the end.

I heard him clear his throat "I've gotta- I've gotta see him" he said quickly.

"I don't think that's a good idea-"

"I need to see him!" He spat.

I stood there and didn't say anything I just listened. I could hear the hurt in his voice. I could tell he was broken.

His mother sighed "okay.." and with that the bedroom door shut.

I walked out of the bathroom slowly to see Jeff sitting on the bed with his head in his hands, sobbing.

I quickly walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his torso. He still cried.

"Sh.. it's gonna be alright" I say calmly, stroking his hair out of his face. "We are going to be alright Jeffrey" I kissed his temple and repeatedly ran my hand through his hair.

"My da-dad Addison he's- hes" he tried to get out of sobbing breaths.

"Breathe" I say sternly, hugging him tighter. "It's going to be okay.." I let him go and studied him. I let him calm himself down and collect the right words to say.

I knew Jeffrey enough to know that when he is upset he says things he doesn't mean. He does stuff he doesn't mean, I waited patiently for him to look at me.