Part 17

There you were, watching the sun rise above the horizon. You breathed in the heavenly scent of fresh air. How long had it been since you last tasted the air on your tongue and not that stuffy, dusty air from the Underground? Birds sang and the grass grew. You stood in the middle of the long line of your friends with Sans next to you. Your hand in his. The day before, you told everyone about your engagement and they all seemed to approve of your decision. However, Mettaton was a little disappointed when he realized that there wasn't any real friend or family drama about this. So, he just sorta forgot about it and moved on to a new topic. The surface!

As you looked beyond, you could see the outline of what used to be your home city. Because you were so mesmerized by the view, you almost didn't realize that everyone had left to make a good first impression on the humans except you and Sans.

It all seemed faintly familiar. You had seen this before. A dream? Well, it wasn't your dream. The sunshine dream. But there wasn't a light. If it was supposed to mean something, it wasn't being real apparent about it. You didn't care.

"So, is there a place on the surface you really wanna go to?" Sans asked. He sat just on the rocky ledge and you sat next to him. You could hear the waves of the ocean in the distance and could already feel the waves lapping at your feet. The seagulls sang and the sun seemed to be rising from the waters. The view was amazing. But then, you recalled yet again.

You looked to the ground and shook your head. "I don't wanna move from this spot. The world was hard for me before I met the kind monsters of the Underground. Not everyone was so nice. In fact, not really anybody cared nor knew I existed except for a distinct few. Now, I'm supposed to have a wedding and act as the ambassador for a bunch of monsters. The humans are going to think I've flipped."

Sans extended his hand to you semi-seriously. "Welcome, (y/n), to the dark side!"

"Yay!" you answer with a grin. "I've always wanted to join my fiancé on the dark side to revolt against the human race!" You shook his hand.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl. It felt like there was something wrong. As if it was supposed to be some big romantic scene but it wasn't. Fate didn't seem done at this moment. You had to say something or you might end up sitting there forever because fate wasn't done.

"Can I tell a story? Like the one I told back at the Snowdin Shop?" you asked.

"Sure."

"It's really short. It won't take long to tell," you explained. After a moment of thinking, you began. "Once there was a lonely person who lived on the surface. School crushed her soul, people shamed and shunned her, and her destiny was hand-picked. Because of the amount of pressure that was placed upon her from this world, she decided to leave this world and go to a new one. One that wouldn't put pressure on her. One that wouldn't make her feel like trash." Your feelings were bouncing off of the walls and you couldn't quite contain your feelings. "She never expected that she would survive the fall...," you said as you listened to your voice waver from memories. You recalled the days before you had fallen down and tried to remove it from your memory, but here you were. "She also never expected for that world to come back..."

"Listen, while it may have been horrible, there is one thing that's different from before."

"Yeah?"

"You're not alone this time."

The words soothed you. Not alone. Loved. Angel of Light. Light. You were the light that brightened their days. If it weren't for you, they would continue living their sad, miserable lives Underground.

"What'll we do? What'll happen to us now?" you questioned. Hitting the end was the ultimate goal, but now that you were here, now what?

"Whatever happens, happens."

You stood to your feet and stared boldly off into the sunset. Like from one of those cliche movies, you pointed towards the burning sun before the sunrise disappeared completely. "Sans, I want you to promise me something!" you shouted. He looked a little nervous because you knew how he felt about promises. Without waiting for him to reply, you burst what you wished. "Promise me that you'll always be there when everything seems to be crashing down. Promise that you'll always have my back so that when I fall down, you'll pick me back up. Promise me that you won't let them consume me again! I don't wanna go back, but if I have to, I want you to be there with me. Because my problems are going to come back... I know it..."

Sans seemed slightly overwhelmed by all of the demands that you were making, but saw your face tearing up as you remembered. He stood next to you. Holding onto your hand, eye sockets gazing into yours, and true sincerity in his voice, he told you two words. "I promise."

You collapsed into his arms and he seemed a little unsure of what to do. You didn't blame him. The sky was brightening. A new day was before you. So was a new life. Still, you wait for nothing in particular.

Suddenly, Toriel came running up the mountain. Sans was the first to notice and his pause made you pause. When Toriel reached the peak, it was awkward. The staring contest of awkwardness.

"U-Uh... I didn't come at a bad time, did I...?" she asked.

Sans shook his head no and you reluctantly agreed with him. Toriel smiled and the sun spread a ripple of blue across the sky and the pinks and oranges evaporated. "Well, we can't go on without our ambassador! Aren't you coming?" she asked.

The surface, huh? Well, it's a new adventure. Maybe it was worth to see again. One more time. After a moment, you nod. "Yeah."

And so, the Underground experience ended. No more code-jumps. No more people out to steal your soul. Walking down Mt. Ebbot for the last time. Blue. The blue sky. The faint whisper of the grass. His gaze on you. 'Don't leave me' you thought.

'And so I won't' he seemed to reply.