KISMET Chapter 14

Chapter 14

It had been nearly six months since that night of the party and life couldn't have been any better but as I sit here in a police cell I realise that I have just ruined my life forever!

I curled up on the thin electric blue mattress in my cell listening to the cries of the other prisoners. The mattress was cold and waterproof like a gym mat and the bed was nothing but a concrete shelf under a few thick blocks of glass to let the light in.

The smell of the disinfectant from the cigarette butt covered cell floor and stainless steel toilet burnt my nose. It was cold and with nothing but a thin blanket to cover myself I settled down for the night.

Occasionally I was woken by the sound of the door flap opening as the officer checked on me. Then a female officer came and opened the door "Miss Shannon McPhilimey," she said.

"Yes," I said.

"If you would like to come with me," she said.

I followed her to a small room where she had me strip down to my underwear on a piece on plastic, swabbed in my mouth, scrapped under my nails, took pictures of my bloody and bruised knuckles. I held the number as she took my mug shots and my finger prints. She gave me a white plastic all in one overall suit to put on. I looked like a cross between a painter/decorator and a giant sperm! Bare feet and dressed in a stupid outfit I was returned to my cell for the night.

I didn't cry, I just lay there feeling not the slightest bit of remorse for my actions and knowing I would do it again in the blink of an eye.

"Can I get you a drink of tea, coffee?" an officer offered kindly as he peaked through the cell door flap.

I shook my head as his kindness started the tears silently falling.

He closed the flap and left.

Two minutes later he returned opening the cell door fully and coming in.

"Here you go darling," he said. I looked up at him as he handed me a plastic cup from a drinks machine. "Hot chocolate," he said with a smile.

"Thank you," I said with a weak smile, still teary.

"I tell you what I'll go get you another blanket whilst you have your drink and I'll leave the door open for a bit," he said.

"Thanks," I whispered as the tears fell again.

"You sure you don't want to call anyone?" he asked.

I shook my head ashamed.

I drank my hot chocolate and he returned.

"We are not allowed to give pillows but I have brought you a blanket I've rolled it up so you can use that and another couple of blankets to keep you warm," he said.

"Thanks," I sniffed. He placed a blanket on the mattress.

"That should keep the chill of that mattress off ya," he said as he placed the make shift pillow on the bed. "Here lie down I will tuck you in," he said.

I lay down in the foetal position and he put the three blankets over me, it was like my dad tucking me in as a kid. I felt at peace and safe.

"Rest now," he said as he left locking the cell door behind him.

When I woke in the morning another officer called through the door flap to see if I wanted breakfast, I declined.

I hadn't had my phone call, I hadn't spoken to a solicitor but people knew I was here. I had texted Lindsay when the police came to arrest me at home. They had been kind enough to let me do that and arrange for her to feed my cat. I wasn't allowed to bring anything with me so my phone was left at home along with my purse. The only thing I could bring was my house keys.