X

For weeks I sneak out in the middle of the night always around two. To come home an hour just before I have to be awaken for school. My sleep schedule is all messed up. My body is tired and last week he punished me more than normal. I had been falling asleep in the midst of our scenes. That was a no no and I've definitely learned my lesson. Between studying, finals, graduation and him I have been finding it hard to prioritize my time. But he has given me these last few days off for my finals. But sadly, it's a little too late. Fraya is starting to get suspicious of my so called job and so is Jordan.

Jordan shakes her head, "You aren't telling me something Maia. You know you can tell me anything, don't you?"

"Jordan I swear I'm fine I just haven't been getting good sleep."

"Fraya tells me you're in bed after dinner."

"Neither of you needs to worry okay. I'm alright I'm not going to let it happen again okay. Let's get to school take the last of these finals and say goodbye to high school."

She sighs not entirely convinced but walks along side me, changing the subject. "So tonight the entire school is throwing a bonfire over in Long Island."

"So we're doing a sleep over type of thing?" I ask.

"Yeah..."

"Okay, you should invite Elijah." I tell her.

"Why would I do that it's just for the high school students?"

"I doubt only high school students will be there. Besides I plan on inviting Eric."

"Eric? Wait...that guy who took your virginity."

"Correction, I gave it to him and yes..."

"You still talk?"

"Yeah we're talking I want us to hang out a little outside of our own little world."

"You didn't tell me you two were even a thing."

"We're not but maybe we could be a thing."

"I see. So is this your big secret? You're talking to Eric all night."

"Will you drop this already." She says nothing and this time I force the subject change.

After school knowing that Jordan wouldn't, I invited Elijah to Long Island and he was happy to say he would definitely be going. But after asking him I went home and it was time to ask the parents. They both stared at me as if I had two heads.

"Come on I've hardly ever gone to school parties. I'm done with finals and I got accepted into NYU. I am a good kid, please it's just for the night I'll even get a hotel." That last part was a stretch of the truth, we could sleep in Elijah's car or on the beach.

My dad asked, "How do you have money for a hotel?"

Fraya comes out spreading my lie, "She has a job. A night shift."

"Is that why you're so tired lately?!" My mom screams.

"I only got it for the summer but...but they have called me in sometimes." I sweat a little, suddenly feeling very hot. I swallow, making my small lie into a full story lie. My mom usually can tell when I'm lying. And if she doesn't say something I worry my nose will suddenly begin to grow.

"Stewart say something..." My mom begs of my dad.

Why does it suddenly feel octaves hotter in here?

"I think it's good she has gotten a job. It teaches her a lot about life. But you should have told us and we could have discussed it further." Suddenly the room cools down and my heart slowly thumps back down into my chest. Giving my throat a lot more airway to breathe.