Chapter 15

''I think it should be something everybody will enjoy. Maybe a masquerade with a twist?'', I said.

''Oh, ofcourse. Sure. There is a school dance, everybody warm up to masquerade time. Why does it always have to be a masquerade?'', said Adrian.

Well, when Adrian walked into Mr. Walter's room I decided that I would play it cool. We would work side by side and nothing else. That way we couldn't fight or I wouldn't want to bury him, you know. Now we were sitting outside in the school compound on a cemented area under a tree, trying to come up with a good enough theme.

''Did the words ''with a twist'' not get through clear enough? We will make it traditional by going with a masquerade and we will make a few changes, add a twist of our own to it. That way everything is taken care of.'', I said, making my point. 

''Yeah, well, you lost me at masquerade. So, no, they din't get through. Why not drop masquerade as a whole and come up with something entirely new?''

''Because. It's like a birthday with no cake. Coke with no fizz. It's age old tradition in this school to have a masquerade. And as for the part where it might become boring, introducing, THE TWIST!''. I mmight as well have won an award. 

''Yeah, okay. All that.'', He takes out a notepad and a pen and, ''So...no masquerade...new..idea..'', he says writing it down in the notepad. 

I want to bury him. 

''What in the World is your problem? Why can't you just adjust a bit with the fact that we aren't only going to have a masquerade? There is room for change.''

''Okay. Then the change is decided. No masks.'', he said and starting scribbling away.

''It is called a masquerade for a reason. Assuming you know the meaning of it!''. This guy sure knew how to piss people off.

''Well, I do. And, I find it dumb. So I'm changing it. Problem?'', he said.

''Well about time you noticed. Yes. Yes, I do have a problem. A very big one at that. I am trying so hard here to work with you and you aren't even reciprocating a bit. You might as well do the whole thing on your own.'', I said, frustrated.

I don't know if it was just the light reflecting off his eyes or I actually saw hurt in them. I immediately felt sorry for what I said. The way I said it, whatever. I calmed myself down with a deep breath.

''Okay, this clearly isn't working out well. How about this? We take a break. Come back. And start fighting..I mean, discussing again. Sound alright?'', I said, almost making a run for it. 

''Yeah alright. Meet here in about a half hour?''

''I thought you'd never agree.'',  I said grinning, ''Seeya!''.

After a minute of thinking where to go I immediately moved towards the library. My safe haven. The smell of books hit me as soon as I entered. I was engulfed with the silence of the room, half because it was a rule and half because it was pretty much abandoned. I found myself walking towards the Nicholas Sparks section and I thought to myself, Seriously? In the mood for crying? I mean I'm not offending anybody. Sparks is a great writer and all that but one has to admit the man has a grave need of killing a beloved character in almost every book of his. After one point of reading his books, you kind of brace yourself for it. 

I picked up Dear John, my first Nicholas Sparks book. The movie version was alright. Actually, it was good. Good because it had Channing Tatum in it. I figured I'd read a few chapters so I went and sat down in an old chair by the window and kept my bag aside and read. 

I always love how books give me this sense of serenity. I could be content with an entire day at the library, just being among books. 

''Kitty Kat, you should really keep an alarm system on your watch, you know.''