Ch.2

Ch.2

The bell rang and she gathered all her stuff into her bag in a hurry and ran out the door.

Cole had already left, taking her copybook with him. Surely he had forgotten to return it to her, he wouldn't have purposefully done that...right?

She tried to convince herself, but a feeling deep inside her knew that the Cole she had known for two years by now is not the type to forget things like that.

"Hey! Wait up!" Henry called after her.

Elizabeth slowed down her pace and let Henry catch up.

"Where are you headed off to?" he asked her.

"I want to find Cole." she replied absently as her eyes searched the crowded hallways.

"Why?"

"He kind of has my math copybook." she said, wincing as she realized it was a pretty stupid idea.

"Why?" Henry asked.

"Because I gave it to him." she replied quickly, hoping Henry hadn't heard.

"WHY?" he asked bewildered.

Elizabeth stopped walking and turned towards him, "Could you plz just stop asking me why and help me find him."

Henry's green eyes widened as he looked past her and he gulped, "Found him."

She spun around on her heel and there he was right in her face, blue eyes sparkling and sandy hair shining in the sunlight that poured through the big windows.

"What's up Liz?" he said.

If it had just been him she may have been able to stand up to him, but his friends were standing behind him, snickering.

Her face grew red and she took a few steps back.

"Looking for me?" Cole asked.

"I...need my copybook." she squeaked, hating how his friends laughed in the background.

"Oh, you mean this?" he held up the book and waved it in the air, "But this is mine."

"Give it back to her, Cole." Henry tried to sound brave, but he sounded just like Elizabeth.

"I didn't know you made a new friend, what's her name? Heather?" Cole laughed.

She cleared her throat and snapped, "Give it back."

"It's mine, here we'll see. Dixon, is this mine?" he asked without looking back.

His red headed friend grabbed the copybook and looked through it with mock concentration.

"Hmm... It has too many pages, wait a second-" Dixon suddenly grabbed a few pages and tore them out, "Yep, now it's yours."

The boys laughed and Cole said, "Oh please, you know I didn't write that much."

"Your right." Dixon ripped a few more pages out and looked up at Cole, who smiled, "Yep, that's about right."

Elizabeth stood staring unable to move. How could she have been stupid enough to actually try to be nice to Cole? She should have known that he was planning something.

Henry summed up enough bravery to step up and snatch the copybook away from Dixon.

"Leave her alone." Henry said.

"Wow, fast hands Heather, but not as fast as mine." Dixon grinned and grabbed Henry by the shirt and pushed him to Cole.

He stumbled towards Cole who was ready and when Henry came close enough he pushed him back to Dixon. But this time Dixon stepped away and let Henry fall on his face.

The boys burst into laughter and the bell rang, snapping Elizabeth out of her daze. She ran to Henry's side as Cole's group of friends walked away muttering things like loser and idiot.

"That was brave, Henry." Elizabeth said as they stood up, "I'm really sorry that they did that, I never should have trusted Cole."

"You think?" Henry sighed, "Never give him anything again. I know you like to try to find the good side in people, but that dude just doesn't have one."

Elizabeth nodded her agreement and she felt as if something was boiling inside of her. Now that she was out of harms way she felt disappointed that she hadn't stood up to Cole and she felt the hate for him that had started growing two years ago, but this time stronger than ever.