Ch.39

Ch.39

The next day, Elizabeth walked to school alone. Cole was still in the hospital, getting treatment. He was getting better pretty fast, but he still wasn't completely cured.

When she walked through the doors, she was hoping for it to be a normal day, but she had totally forgotten about Dixon being the 'coolest' kid in school now that Cole was kicked off the chart.

But she was in for a surprise. She walked down the hallways and heard whispers from the students standing near the lockers. She thought she had heard her name. She caught a boy and a girl staring at her. She waved nervously, but they just looked away.

Suddenly, someone poked her shoulder from behind. She yelped and spun around, only to see Brandon and Henry standing there.

"Kind of like when we first met. Minus the falling." Brandon smiled.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, but smiled, "What is going on?"

"Seems likeThe Wicked Old Witch of the West had a change of heart." Henry pointed over Elizabeth's shoulder.

Elizabeth turned around again and saw Lacy striding down the middle of the hallway, pushing past a group of cheerleaders, pulling Dixon behind her by his ear. Every noise, every voice in the hallway ceased and everyone stopped what they were doing and stared.

Elizabeth let out a laugh. It slipped out, and she clamped a hand shut over her mouth. Everyone in the hallway turned towards her. Lacy looked over at her and gave her a friendly smile, pinching Dixon's ear.

"Ow!" Dixon yelled, "Lacy let me go! I'm sorry, ok?"

"In your dreams, this'll teach you to respect me. You'll never be popular again when I'm done with you." Lacy laughed. She continued walking down the hallway. Silence settled over the hallway.

Then, Henry began to laugh. It began as a nervous chuckle, but rose to pure happiness. Brandon began laughing too, and Elizabeth caught on. Soon enough, the whole hallway was full of laughing students.

Elizabeth wasn't exactly sure why everyone else was laughing, but she was just happy that Dixon wasn't the king of the school anymore and that Lacy may just be a pretty good friend.

Henry leaned on Elizabeth's shoulder, catching his breath. Elizabeth pulled him into a hug and he squeezed back. When Henry pulled away, she looked into his green eyes and said suddenly, "Henry, you do know that you are my best friend and will always be."

Henry frowned at her, "Well duh. You can't get away from me that easily. I'm like a leech." Henry laughed. "And you'll always be my best friend, too Elizabeth, no doubt about that."

Elizabeth smiled and hugged him again, enjoying the moment, no matter how cheesy it sounded. She hugged Brandon too in the commotion and she knew that she had found some pretty amazing friends. They had all been through a lot together, and Elizabeth thought that was one of the reasons why they were so close. She just felt really good when she was around them.

                               •••

One week later, Elizabeth sat with Cole in his room. Matilda and her dad were in her room. It was the first day that Cole had left the hospital.

Cole was free of pneumonia; he was healthy again. Things at school were perfect. Dixon was kicked to the bottom of the cool scale with his little group of friends. Lacy, on the other hand, was at the top of the scale. She might not seem very nice, but she treated everyone fairly. And Henry had a little crush on Lacy. Speaking of Henry, he and Brandon had turned out to be pretty great friends to Cole; he was glad he had them.

Elizabeth had been checking on Cole everyday after school until he had gotten better. She had done so much for him, and Cole was grateful. He would do the same for her. Ivy, Elizabeth's nice friend, had left the hospital. Her brother had finally woken up from his coma two days before Cole had left the hospital. Ivy had given Elizabeth her phone number and Elizabeth had given Ivy hers, and they had agreed to keep in touch.

Cole and his dad had built a strong relationship in the time he had spent at the hospital and Matilda just loved her dad. Cole had forgiven his mom and dad.

Now, Cole and Matilda were packing their stuff so they could go and live with their father, who lived only two blocks away. It wasn't very far, but Cole would miss talking to Liz from her window.

Cole had only a few belongings. He pulled his laptop from under his bed and stared at it for a while, remembering the day that he had looked up Roman Gods with Elizabeth. He smiled and looked at her, he loved her so much.

She looked at him and smiled, "What?"

He squeezed her cheek, "Nothing."

He pulled out another thing from under his bed. It was a picture of his family. It was Cole when he was small and his parents. His mom was pregnant with Matilda then. It was one of the happy days. He put it in his backpack. It would be good to remember her from the good times.

That was all he had. Other than the few clothes he had already packed in his backpack, it was all he owned.

"You're done?" Elizabeth asked him.

Cole stood up and said, "Yep." he pulled her up to him and hugged her tight, "But really you're all I need." and it was true, if she was all he had, he would be satisfied.

"Ok then, you ready to go?" She asked.

Cole nodded. Elizabeth walked ahead of him out the door. Cole picked up his backpack and walked after her. He didn't close the door behind him. He walked slowly down the stairs, taking in the grey and black walls.

He hated his house. He hated it so much he wished he could burn it all down. It had always made him feel so down and the house always seemed so gloomy. People's houses were suppose to make them feel safe, make them feel like they belonged. But to Cole, his house had never felt like...home.

And he was happy he was finally leaving. He missed his mom, but was kind of glad she was gone. He missed her when she was herself, but Cole knew she never would've gone back to how she was.

But then, as he walked out his house towards his car, with Elizabeth at his side, he didn't have to worry about that anymore. He didn't have to worry about anything.

He put his arm around her and she rested her head against his chest. It was funny when he looked back on how much he used to hate her and how much he loved her then.

He would never let her go ever again.

And as he stared into her beautiful brown eyes, he just knew that from that day on, everything would get better. Because she was there with him. He saw nothing else in the world and wasn't sure of anything except:

He loved her.

And she loved him.

It would always be Him and Her.

                      THE END

A/N:

OH MY GOD. IT'S OVER. OH MY... THAT WAS FUN, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

IM SO HAPPY, THIS WAS A PRETTY COOL EXPERIENCE. I HAVE TO THANK ALL MY READERS AND EVERYONE WHO WAS SUPPORTING ME THROUGHOUT THE STORY.

THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER. COLE AND ELIZABETH WOULD PROBABLY HUG YOU ALL. ;)

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:

IT. IS. OVER. :0