Ch.15

Ch15

After a while, Elizabeth and Brandon walked into a cafe. It smelled like coffee and fresh baked muffins. Elizabeth took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. She looked around at the cafe. The walls were glass.There were round brown tables across the room with a bunch of people sitting down, talking quietly. In the corners of the room there were comfortable looking couches with coffee tables near them. On the right side of the room there was a counter with a cash register on it and an ordering menu above it on the wall.

At the opposite side of the room, there was a brown painted wall with a door. Brandon took Elizabeth's hand and started to walk across the room. Elizabeth slipped her hand out of Brandon's, scratching her cheek to cover up for it and then stuffing her hands in her pockets. Brandon pursed his lips, but didn't say anything.

They made their way through the door and Elizabeth was hit with a million other smells and sounds. She smelled eggs, pancakes, muffins, coffee, tea, and heard the clicking and clacking of silver wear and plates clanging against each other and on counters.

Brandon swerved his way through a few people who were cooking up breakfast meals and smiled at others. Elizabeth wished Brandon was holding her hand again; she had to duck under plates and move out of the way of trays to catch up with him and she almost missed the door that was in the left wall at the end of the large kitchen.

She walked into a much smaller room with a couch and a coffee maker on a white counter. There was a sink in the counter and shelves above it stuffed with coffee things. Elizabeth wouldn't know what they were, she wasn't very fond of coffee.

"Welcome to my office." Brandon smiled, spreading his arms out.

Elizabeth laughed, "You make the coffee?"

"Ya," he smiled, "It takes great skill to pour coffee into a mug."

Elizabeth laughed again and Brandon's smile widened. A boy with red hair walked into the room and said, "You're here, good." he handed Brandon a piece of paper, "Here's the orders." and he walked out.

Brandon frowned at the paper, "That's a lot." he glanced at Elizabeth, "Want to help?"

Elizabeth shrugged, "I don't really know how to make any type of coffee. I hate it."

Brandon gasped, pretending to be offended, then said, "Ya, I do too."

They laughed.

"You just sit down on the couch and keep me company." Brandon said.

"Ok." Elizabeth pulled herself up to sit on the counter.

"Or you could sit there." Brandon smiled.

He began to grab things from above him and mixed them together, adding hot water and other things, his hands moving fast. As he was pouring coffee beans into a machine, Elizabeth asked him, "Do you have any siblings?"

He shook his head, "Only kid. It gets kind of lonely, but the plus side is that your parents give you everything. And I mean everything." he rang a bell that Elizabeth hadn't seen before that hung on the wall in front of them and handed a tray of steaming cups of all types of coffee to a young man that came through the door at the ring of the bell.

Brandon came back to the counter and looked at Elizabeth with his gleaming brown eyes, "Once I asked for a swimming pool in the middle of winter and the next day, my parents had me pick one out."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, "That seems cool. I'm the only child too, but I don't get everything I want."

Brandon shrugged and began working again.