Ch.38

Ch38

After a few minutes, Cole pulled away, eyes still closed.

"How are you doing?" Elizabeth asked softly.

Cole opened his stunning blue eyes and looked at her. "Horrible." he replied, "But relieved."

Elizabeth nodded. She understood that it was hard to hear the truth, but now that Cole's dad was there, Cole didn't have to be responsible for his whole family. No more working late at night, no more raising Matilda all alone, he could finally be a normal teenager. And his dad had turned out to be a pretty good man, even if he had lied about his identity.

"How are you doing?" Cole asked her.

"Tired." Elizabeth smiled, "But relieved that your relieved."

Cole smiled. For the first time in a while, Cole smiled freely.

"So, I take it you believe your dad." Elizabeth said.

Cole leaned back into the couch. "Ya, I guess so. I knew my mom, and I'm not totally surprised at my dad's story. I can actually picture her doing that."

"Are you mad?"

Cole stared into empty space. He replied absently, "I...don't know. I want to hate my parents, at least hate one of them, but...I can't."

Elizabeth curled up next to him and put her head on his chest. "What's that supposed to mean?" she asked.

"I mean that I want to hate my mom for what she did, and I'm mad, but I can't seem to hate her. In her defense, she wasn't in her right mind." Cole's chest vibrated as he spoke, "As for my dad, I hated him a few hours ago, but now I just...can't. I believe that he wanted to protect me and Matilda, and I guess I owe him one, but I'm just not ready to forgive him yet."

Elizabeth understood. Forgiving was not an easy thing to do. It took time, and even if someone did forgive, they would never forget.

"I'm not ready to forgive him or my mom." Cole paused, "Although, I think the real reason why I'm still mad is that I just want there to be someone I can blame for all my problems. Is that bad?"

Elizabeth sat up straight and looked at Cole. "After everything you've been through? Not at all."

Cole smiled at her. Then he said, "I think I owe you an apology."

"Me? Why?"

"I kinda freaked out on you and yelled and got mad and everything. You didn't deserve that. You were helping. Plus, I kinda dragged you into my whole family mess. Now that was too much, even for me." Cole looked sorry.

Elizabeth suddenly laughed. Cole smiled, "What?" he asked.

"You're apologizing to me? I need to apologize, I left you all alone when you needed me the most." Elizabeth said.

"Hey." Cole leaned forward, "No you didn't, you needed a break."

"I guess we're even then?" she asked.

"I guess." Then Cole smiled mischievously, "But I need one more thing."

"What?" Elizabeth was ready to give him anything.

"I need my medicine." Cole said, leaning even closer to her.

"What?" Elizabeth frowned. Then Cole's lips met hers. Elizabeth realized then what he had meant.

When Cole pulled away, she said, "Oh."

Cole laughed. "I love you." he said.

"I love you even more." Elizabeth replied.