Ch.5

Ch5

The next day Elizabeth walked through the big school doors expecting to be bombarded by spitballs or have a gallon of water poured over her, but nothing happened. She walked close to the blue walls, disappointed that yesterday Mrs.Rose refused in changing her partner for her project and trying to be unseen and just get to class before she could embarrass herself.

"Hi."

Elizabeth screamed and spun around so suddenly that her feet caught on each other and she fell to the floor. She looked up, expecting Cole but instead she saw a boy with chocolate brown hair and dark eyes. He looked like he was trying to hide a smile, but his eyes betrayed him as they glowed with laughter.

"Are you ok?" the boy asked holding out his hand for her.

Elizabeth hesitated, "Who are you?"

The boy raised his eyebrow, "You don't know me?"

She shook her head wondering if he was one of Cole's friends.

He pulled back his hand and crossed his arms over his chest, "I'm Brandon Lloyds." he watched her face but it didn't change. He sighed, "History class?" Nothing. He looked around as if he was making sure no one was listening he then grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. He whispered to her, "Baby boy Lloyd?"

"Oh!" Elizabeth had a faint memory of Cole passing Brandon's desk and calling him that.

Brandon looked upset that she had remembered him by that mean nickname Cole had come up with.

Elizabeth winced, "Sorry."

"Don't worry about it, I know you because Cole calls you 'Nightmare on Elm Street'." Brandon said.

"He does?!" This was the first time Elizabeth had heard anyone call her that.

"Well, as of yesterday. But that's not the point! I wanted to tell you that I saw you stand up to Cole yesterday and I would really like to help you."

"Help me in what?"

"In destroying Cole Kent." Brandon smiled.

"Oh." Elizabeth's eyes fell to the ground, "Thanks, but I don't really have any plans to destroy him."

"Then what do you plan to do? Hide the whole school year and the next year of high school?"

"Yes?" Elizabeth smiled weakly at him.

"Not on my watch." Brandon flicked his hair out of his eyes and saluted to her, "Think of me as your new protector, Elizabeth White."

She smiled, "I thought you didn't know me."

"Well... I may have lied, anyway-" Brandon poked her nose, "I have to get to class, but starting...today at lunch, I'm your official protector!" then he walked away, leaving Elizabeth trying to figure out what had just happened.

She turned around and saw Henry standing next to his locker, green eyes amused, he must have seen what had just happened. But her thoughts all crashed to the floor when she saw that Cole was approaching her, alone. Elizabeth sucked in a deep breath hoping to say something, but Cole beat her to it.

"Why are you talking to him?" Cole looked mad.

"To who?" Elizabeth asked innocently.

Cole rolled his eyes, "Brandon."

"Why do you care?" Elizabeth smiled.

Cole just stared at her with an intense gaze.

"Ok, gosh! Don't explode! He's a nice guy, and he's helping me through the problem you got me stuck in, you know the whole trying to ruin me thing."