Chapter 16: The 5 Trials of Life

Diana's POV

I held in the gasp that wanted to come out of my mouth as the smooth, unknown, bold voice spoke through my head and projected itself to the rest of my pack in the ballroom.

~Diana, welcome, you have reached your place in the society of Lycanthropians. Gift of gold.~

Before, the voice was obviously the moon goddess. Now it had changed and I wasn't so sure who it was or what to think.

My mate carefully strode towards me and touched my cheek. I flinched away not wanting him to be covered in gold from touching me but to my surprise, nothing happened. 

"The power does not effect the people and things you love unless you mean it to." Everyone in the room freezes and it feels like time is frozen along with them as a beautiful woman walks toward me. She takes graceful steps and appears almost to be floating on the air. She is with a man and they have expressions of love and happiness imprinted on their faces.

I recognize them almost immediately. 

"Mom? Dad? Is that really you?" I whisper.

"Not in solid form of course," My dad laughs, "we are here spiritually, darling." 

I take a step forward and go to touch my mom's face when my hand runs right through it like fog. I curse and feel tears starting to sprout behind my eyes.

"It's not fair. What did I ever do to deserve losing you?" I say, lowering my head.

"Oh my sweet, you didn't. Your father and I were sent here to talk to you about that very thing." She cooed.

"I don't understand..."

"This, all of it, the losses, the abuse, the pain. This is all for trials." My dad sighs and rubs his see-through nose.

"Trials? Trials for what? For who?"

"The Moon Goddess. She is planning great things for you darling. But to see that you're strong enough, she needs to send you through the five trials of life first. You have already gone through the first two: Emotional loss, and physical pain."

I take a breath to calm my wolf. All of this, all my life. It's a lie? It's for a game! I lost my parents and grew up abused and a slave for trials.

"There are three more that you have left," My mother continued softly, "Relationship problems, self love issues, and facing your worst fear." 

"Rick." I mumble under my breath in realization.

"Our time is almost up now, we must say goodbye." My dad warns my mother.

"We wish you the best of luck on your trials and we are so proud of you." Mom says.

"Wait! Please don't leave!" I start to cry.

"Oh sweetheart, we will always be here, deep inside you when you need us." My dad smiles and waves.

"We love you Diana." My mom whispers in my ear as the ballroom music starts up again and everyone begins to move around like nothing happened. Pierce starts walking toward me again and I fiercely whip around and look at him. Once he sees the tears falling from my eyes, he takes my hand and pulls me to him. I just lay my face into his chest and cry softly. 

"Care to explain?" He asks gently.

"Later, I have to meet my pack right now." I wipe the tears from my eyes and try to be strong. Most of the pack members are staring at me, wondering what in the world just happened.