Chapter 8

"The 24th annual Masked Ball will be held at the community center on June 19th, from 8 pm to 12am. We invite you and your families to join us on this grand night to help support the community cheerleaders get to the Nationals. Tickets will be on sale on June 10, and tickets may be bought at the door. Tickets prices range from ..."

My brothers voice drifts off as I put a hand over my mouth and yawn. The Michigan Blues held this ball/dance thing every year at the community center a.k.a the community club house to always raise money to go to the nationals, which they always seem to go too.

Hint the 24th annual notion.

I never really understood what the big deal was but everyone got excited over the stupid dance. Plus, I was still tired from my night with Kelsey so hearing my brother go on and on about the whole thing made me want to stab my eyes out.

The only reason they call it a ball is because every girl in town seems to go out and buy big dresses that they would only be wearing for four hours. They would go get their hair done too, which might I add would be flat by the time they got there anyway.

But, all that aside, this dance, shit , ball , was a big deal.

I only went to it one time in 9th grade and that year was an under the water theme and my mom persisted I go in a pink, sparkly ,mermaid dress.

When Kelsey , Kayla , and me showed up and everyone was practically wearing the same dress and Ivy was dancing with the guy who invited Kelsey, we all vowed to never go back.

So as Mason continued to read the print on the flyer that was hanging outside of the restaurant me, him, and my mother were going to for lunch, I got sick

But as my mother stood behind Mason, looking at the flyer all dreamy eyed and seemed to be in delight over the words,  I decided I was sick.

This was supposed to be a mother, daughter, and son kind of day. But now It turns out to be the day that my mother asks me to go to the dance and find a nice young man to take me.

Just wait ...

"Mia, you should go. " My mother says wistfully before turning to me ans simling. She pushes her purse up her shoulder and my brother turns to look at me too and laughs.

"Mia, in a dress? Please. The last time I saw her in one was her baby pictures. Even then, she looked like she was going to kill you for putting her in one. "

I didn't bother to say anything to him as my mothers next words fly out of her eager mouth.

"Oh, and maybe you can find a nice young man to bring you? You have been single for way to long.   You are a bright, beautiful young lady, so I don't get it."

I hold up my hand as the door to the restaurant opens and two old people walk out, holding hands.

"I don't need a guy." Besides Justin, but I can't say that out loud. I can just imagine the look on my brother face. " And the whole dance thing is a joke. Plus, Mason is right. I hate dresses and heels."

My mother shakes her head and points to Mason. "It is like having another one of him. All I ask is for a girl, just once!" She whines out and I laugh and kiss her on her cheek.

"Maybe you can trick dad into having another kid?"

"Oh lord, " My mother comments as we go into the restaurant.

" I don't need your father blaming me for another eighteen years of his life. He already blames me for not allowing him to pursue his dreams of being a rock God. No matter how many times I try to tell him, he never was going to be a rock God in that band."